First Project - 90's GT Advice

Re: Re:

MR OX":1w03688v said:
If your in Bristol I'd head to the local bike charity, apparently the one your way is pretty good, usually have some knowledgeable people there. Also if you want a coloured frame, check out some of the earlier 90's stuff Bravado, Karakoram etc.

It's funny you say that, I do know one of the guys who runs Bristol Bike Project. I will chat to him about this also, lock down has closed the place for a long tome now though.

Rtdread":r1hkrhj5 said:
madjh":r1hkrhj5 said:
I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.

Nice bike, I will follow your project if you are posting on here. What do you think of Tequesta and Tempest?

Taquesa is quite similar than the Timberline but with Stx intead of a mix of Altus in 1995 (in 1999 the timberline was STX and alivio). It is a nice bicycle. The Karakoram is the top range of steel frames.

Tempest was the cheapest alumium bicycle but it could be a project if you like, if it is in good condition and if the price is good too.

In 1995 this was what it was sell in my country from low range to high end bicycles:

Outpost 415 euros of that era
Talera 450 euros
Timberline 580 euros
Rebound 644 euros
Tempest 661 euros
Taquesa 703 euros
Karakoram 992 euros
Backwoods 787 euros
Avalanche 1260 euros
Timberline FS 794 euros
Ricochet 1051 euros
RTS-3 1501 Euros
Zaskar 1739 euros
Zaskar RS 2282 euros
Zaskar LE 3840 euros
RST-1 3197 euros
Team RTS 4673 euros
Team LTS 4946 euros

This prices were in my country in 1995. It will give you an idea wich one is better than the others.

madjh":2mb3mbnk said:
Rtdread":2mb3mbnk said:
madjh":2mb3mbnk said:
I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.

Nice bike, I will follow your project if you are posting on here. What do you think of Tequesta and Tempest?

Taquesa is quite similar than the Timberline but with Stx intead of a mix of Altus in 1995 (in 1999 the timberline was STX and alivio). It is a nice bicycle. The Karakoram is the top range of steel frames.

Tempest was the cheapest alumium bicycle but it could be a project if you like, if it is in good condition and if the price is good too.

In 1995 this was what it was sell in my country from low range to high end bicycles:

Outpost 415 euros of that era
Talera 450 euros
Timberline 580 euros
Rebound 644 euros
Tempest 661 euros
Taquesa 703 euros
Karakoram 992 euros
Backwoods 787 euros
Avalanche 1260 euros
Timberline FS 794 euros
Ricochet 1051 euros
RTS-3 1501 Euros
Zaskar 1739 euros
Zaskar RS 2282 euros
Zaskar LE 3840 euros
RST-1 3197 euros
Team RTS 4673 euros
Team LTS 4946 euros

This prices were in my country in 1995. It will give you an idea wich one is better than the others.

Really helpful that, thank you. A 1996 Zazkar LE silver with Yellow forks. What are the thoughts on that? Worth going for or hood out for an earlier model? It is suspension so would probably change the forks if I went for it.

Re:

I’m considering a pinky purple Ricochet, has Rockshox forks. From what I can tell after hours of reading, it’s probably a 1995 model. Does anyone know more than this? It has not been modified or painted so I’m confident of the model and colour.

It depends on your preferences, all models can be a proyect. Usually you like one model more than others so it could be easy but if you don´t kno, go for the best looking one.

madjh":39cvlkto said:
It depends on your preferences, all models can be a proyect. Usually you like one model more than others so it could be easy but if you don´t kno, go for the best looking one.

Sadly I have since found out that the bike is actually a 20" and too big for me. The search continues! Just like I do with everything however I will become completely obsessed with this and end up spending a shed load on something I set out to spend £150 on.

It took me more than 10 years to find my dream bike in the condition I liked ... New. Sice I bought I haven´t seen any one more. So, take your time. If you want a Zaskar LE, go for it. Check all the market and wait for the perfect bicycle. It will come one day or annother :)

Back