First DOGS BOLX produced...ex Dave Hemming?

Re:

As we all probably know, there are a handful of DBs on eBay at the minute - all of which have been sitting for several weeks each at sizeable BINs - including a certain heavily debated frame..

I’d love a DB but the BINs not being hit is a sign that supply and demand hasn’t exactly reached equilibrium! More simply us 80-odd middle aged men (I’m 41, so I hope to barely qualify for that description!) don’t value them as high as some of the US stuff (harlequin Fat, anyone?).

Would I pay more for a frame with some history? Well.. In every other collector-based hobby out there, providence does tend to trade at a premium. Cars, watches etc..

Hemming was a big deal in the UK at the time - at least in the pages of MBUK. Mint Sauce is burned into the brain of anyone that ever rode a mountain bike in anger in the UK.

On balance I would pay a premium for the frame. The parts I care less about. The issue is that DB sellers are all pricing frames above what the market will accept. None are trading. Makes it hard to call what this thing is worth.

Re:

Glad to see peeps agree with me. Think this would sell with bids up from £500 for the frame. But £1,500 for the bike is pie in the sky

£1500 is about the going price for a DB. I sold my mint/restored DB with loads of NOS bling, for £1580 in 2018.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=379327

Add on £ the Jo Burt doodles, but remove £ for the wear, and you arrive at the asking price.

If I had the cash, I'd love it in my small collection

Bollox64":sqrln5fr said:
£1500 is about the going price for a DB. I sold my mint/restored DB with loads of NOS bling, for £1580 in 2018.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=379327

Add on £ the Jo Burt doodles, but remove £ for the wear, and you arrive at the asking price.

If I had the cash, I'd love it in my small collection
To be fair, yours is a lot nicer and reminds us all of what we can get for £1500. I would love the Dave Hemming/Jo Burt DB but, as has been mentioned above, the majority of people who appreciate it have other bills to pay. However, I guess that is the case for any hobby...and we know ours ain't cheap!

It's on eBay, has been outed on a Mint Sauce Facebook group and is on here. So I guess if it's worth £1500 then it'll go for £1500...or more.

There are 4 on eBay just now with no bids, from £700(f+f) to £1500.

Maybe post Covid things have adjusted a bit

Yours was definitely “best of breed” so worth the money.

Like anything if you really want to sell something drop the price

Good luck to the seller imo. They got a lovely rarity at a low price and now need to sell (or perhaps will only do so for the right price). The Mint Sauce and Hemmings connection will definitely add to the appeal with the right people.

A low starting price would probably attract more interest as it may or may not be worth £1500+ Still nothing to stop the seller reducing the starting price later.

Re:

FWIW, Most of what i have seen on ebay atm, is very tatty, hence why they are still there.

This chaps a nice fella, but i fear hes up against the wall a bit, as anyone who knows anything will already know what the bike sold for the last time, so not a great start. It hasnt got the Forkplay fork which would instantly make it worth more.

I love Provenance, expecially with a bicycle, but i could take it or leave it doodled on a frame, if there are a few dents to the tubes, i think it would niggle me, i guess only seeing it in the flesh could i decide.

I think most of the spec compliments the bike, but a few things i would want to change, as we always do.

Unsure this was the actual frame Chas took to the Malverns though, when he had to quickly think up an acronym for the name D.O.G.S.B.O.L.O.X, when asked by M.B.U.K when they saw it and wrote the article about it. (this was in fact the Very first frame, i could be wrong, but i thought Daves was made to Measure for him specifically). (not that this matters, Daves old Frame is Daves old Frame, No 1, is a bit of a stretch as a sales pitch though).

The fact of the matter is, cheeky doodles, mint sauce and Dave hemmings aside, is all Smoke and Mirrors, the Fact is..... its A..... "D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X".................... What every Fat Chance Should have been...(But wasnt).

:cool:

Attachments

• db cr.jpg
    db cr.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,326
Re:

I think the price is OK if you add up the cost of all the parts, with the added bonus of its history and unique graphics.

I’d probably consider buying it at that price if I wasn’t one of the people currently trying to sell a DB On eBay right now :)

For all those who say “it hasn’t sold yet so it must be over-priced”, well, think of how big the target audience is. It’s not big. Maybe they are on holiday right now so they haven’t see the listing. Classic cars, art, watches are often on sale for months before they sell. It’s just a case of waiting for the buyer to come along. I often hear nothing for months and then, bam, all of a sudden four people want to buy it at the same time.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2t92i099 said:
I think the price is OK if you add up the cost of all the parts, with the added bonus of its history and unique graphics.

I’d probably consider buying it at that price if I wasn’t one of the people currently trying to sell a DB On eBay right now :)

For all those who say “it hasn’t sold yet so it must be over-priced”, well, think of how big the target audience is. It’s not big. Maybe they are on holiday right now so they haven’t see the listing. Classic cars, art, watches are often on sale for months before they sell. It’s just a case of waiting for the buyer to come along. I often hear nothing for months and then, bam, all of a sudden four people want to buy it at the same time.

I can only see a tatty black one, which one is yours...?

Re:

Thing is.. a couple of these bikes have been on for months already.

The DB is very much an inside baseball type of a frame. It doesn’t have a pretty, insta-friendly paint job like a Klein, Fat or Yeti. No one is going to accidentally fall in love with one.

Anyone that buys a DB knows exactly what they’re looking at.. which means they probably spend half their lives on this fair site.. which means they know market price for one of these.

If owners genuinely want to sell, strip the bike to the frame, start it from £250. You’ll probably get enough people hooked at the low entry price to guarantee a competitive auction.

My penny’s worth.

Back