FAT CHANCE TITANIUM looks mint with nice spec

Could also be that the seller does not really know what he has.
I agree that is most likely the case. Just seems strange they dropped some pretty desirable brand names into the description of which none of the components are fitted and then they missed out some pretty cool parts that are fitted. The biggest red flag to me perhaps is the gripshift srt500, of which there is none. Seems quite specific to list the make and model for something that just isn't there. It's not like they just copied the name that was written on the component. I appreciate not everyone knows their Cooks from their Grafton etc. but I don't know just seems like it could have been a cut and paste from elsewhere as lots of the spec list and parts just don't match up. Hopefully for the buyers sake I am wrong.

Feedback left by the buyer of that very bike.

"Really friendly and very helpful. I cant recommend more highly. A genuinely decent ebayer all round!"

Congrats to the FAST and the BRAVE new owner. :)

Last edited:
Of course value is subjective and open to debate, but in my opinion that was a good buy, mismatched components and inaccurate descriptions aside you're going to struggle to find a titanium frame of that vintage and pedigree for much less than the buyer paid for the entire bike, factor in the potential resale value of some of those (in my opinion) gaudy aftermarket parts then there's a real bargain on the cards.

Last edited:
I agree. The value is there. I'd personally buy a more modern titanium on one inbred bike, xtr/xt/ discs cf 2008.. £1000 for a nice one. Will not retain value as opposed to the fat chance.. but ride is great..er.?

I agree. The value is there. I'd personally buy a more modern titanium on one inbred bike, xtr/xt/ discs cf 2008.. £1000 for a nice one. Will not retain value as opposed to the fat chance.. but ride is great..er.?
You'd certainly get a better ride and more bang for your buck, and personally I'd prefer matching rigid forks.

I guess it depends on your reasons for buying, to ride, to restore, to strip down and sell, nothing on that bike in the OP is going to decrease in value, much of it will increase in value markedly year on year if preserved. I would love to know what those forks might go for, and if you offered all that purple bling (which in my opinion draws attention away from the frame, rather than complimenting it), if you offered that all in a bundle then I imagine it could be worth far more than the sum of its parts for the right buyer. Imagine trying to gather all those items piece by piece, in that kind of condition, it could take years.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against colour coordinated components, I just don't think frames like that need them.

Sorry just picked up on this thread. I am happy to report that in this instance it all worked out and the bike was exactly as pictured!
I had been looking for a Fat Ti for some time and since receiving it's been stripped and cleaned and getting ready for the build.
The BOI forks that I had in readiness are off to be painted in the original catalogue colour as soon as Argos Racing Cycles can fit them in and they should look amazing.
Interestingly in keeping with some of your comments I had planned for a subtle, predominantly polished silver, parts build with no 3DV or turquoise bling as I just don't think it needs it and I am glad that you all seem to agree.
I'll post some pictures as it all begins to take shape...
Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• 11DC1F18-C90D-4503-A138-77E86363FB28.jpeg
    11DC1F18-C90D-4503-A138-77E86363FB28.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 3F7E858B-E919-44A0-800A-866C3ACE39D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    3F7E858B-E919-44A0-800A-866C3ACE39D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 104
Nice stable you have. Looks like new and in the rare larger size. I hope it gets ridden and you post up a ride review of this beauty. 😎

I'd ride it to death, do not make this into a garage queen.
You did really well.
Sell all the gaudy gothic bits..
Understated.. personally I'd love to see a higher end build with a titanium railed brooks leather saddle( bag- optional) or a titanium gilles berthoud...
I'm into saddles at present time..
You took a gamble.. it paid off. 🙌

I'd ride it to death, do not make this into a garage queen.
You did really well.
Sell all the gaudy gothic bits..
Understated.. personally I'd love to see a higher end build with a titanium railed brooks leather saddle( bag- optional) or a titanium gilles berthoud...
I'm into saddles at present time..
You took a gamble.. it paid off. 🙌
Congratulations Andy on your recent acquisition. Lots & lots of fun to ride.

Here’s mine, 013T3M.
Was built using most of my fave regular xc parts in purposeful / no period way…also featuring WTB SST ti saddle & trusty Ortlieb saddle bag (for Shaznaz)…not quite as boutique as Brooks, but worked for me! Regrettably did ride this one to it’s demise…

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. As things stand this is going to be built with:
XTR M900 shifting and derailleurs
Syncros seatpost and cattlehead stem in black
Titec 1st gen titanium handlebar
Cook Bros RSR silver chainset
White Industries hubs
Mavic 117 SUP Ceramic rims
King nothreadset in silver
Flite saddle in black. Sorry its not a Brooks!
Brakes undecided. I have some nos Critical Racing but there in turquoise or I have some BR-M900 spare now so could use those...?

I'll keep you all informed!

Back