FAT Chance 10th Anniv. Restoration project

tangent

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Sadly thats over a G to get sorted properly and it will never be worth it with the asking price on top. You really have to look after these frames properly or they will RIP. The fork is worth the asking price though but its a shame to split it up.

Yes, certainly not going to be cheap, however I do hope , someone has the resources to restore this...on a purely practical note I am less familiar with U.K. frame builders / repairers’ who offer TIG welding?

Seeing this frame in detail, takes me back to a moment in Oslo , 2009 when I had chance to buy a 10th Anniv. in my size, it had some odd paintwork around the bb, and I could not commit to buy on that basis. Always niggled me if I made the right choice!…my intention was to be ride, so could not take the (er) chance.…wonder what happened to it ? (prob a thread in it’s own right !)

tangent":1i66jw9t said:
Yes, certainly not going to be cheap, however I do hope , someone has the resources to restore this...on a purely practical note I am less familiar with U.K. frame builders / repairers’ who offer TIG welding?

Lets hope so. These came in white and yellow iirc. Id be tempted to get the base of the seat tube replaced to a high standard to preserve the upper seat post diameter, then spray it pearl white with fresh decals. This original paint job would be much more expensive to reproduce perfectly.

Seeing this frame in detail, takes me back to a moment in Oslo , 2009 when I had chance to buy a 10th Anniv. in my size, it had some odd paintwork around the bb, and I could not commit to buy on that basis. Always niggled me if I made the right choice!…my intention was to be ride, so could not take the (er) chance.…wonder what happened to it ? (prob a thread in it’s own right !)

Most likely you avoided an expensive repair ! The tubing in these is only 0.3/4mm thick. The moisture in our temperate atmosphere alone will eat through it in 15 m/20yrs +, let alone from additional water ingress from riding. You have to use Framesaver or similar products liberally inside the tubes. I would love a M/L 10th in mint or even decent rider cond but they rarely come up for sale.

[url=http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73070]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73070[/having some time on my hands due resting with broken ribs have dug out the retrobike thread from 2009...see the odd paint work which gave me pause for thought was is not illustrated ( no criticism of intended - it probably was just cosmetic

Hmm. that is very interesting especially about the rate of deterioration , I guess had go with instincts and let it go...as a super keen FAT Chance rider, was kinda please to just have actually seen one for real…take care of those steel frames.

Re:

Water is not the problem with these frames it’s actually salt that’s the issue with 4130 frame - was chatting to my FIL about this and showing him my pin holes FC, 4130 is ok with just water but bad when ever any salt is present....

Re:

I appreciate salty moist air corrosion being a big issue beside the sea but there should not be much salt inland or in urban areas. Its defo Ti bikes if you live beside the sea.

Re:

Most rock / mud will have a % of salt in it, if you think salt is just for seawater / your chippy then you are kidding yourself (theres even salt in fairy liquid for goodness sake)

Re: Re:

boxxer":uviivgdx said:
Most rock / mud will have a % of salt in it, if you think salt is just for seawater / your chippy then you are kidding yourself (theres even salt in fairy liquid for goodness sake)
...and blood, sweat and tears. We’ve all spilt some (if not all) of these over our old hunks of junk at some point. :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

Hotwheels.":3ly6l1zp said:
boxxer":3ly6l1zp said:
...and blood, sweat and tears. We’ve all spilt some (if not all) of these over our old hunks of junk at some point. :mrgreen:

Ha! so true...prehaps that’s why FAT Chance used to offer Yo Eddy branded elastoplasts / bandaids (I forget which exact make of sticking plasters)

Back