Fake shimano chain?

I got a fake chain off ebay last year, it was terrible. 1st ride, fine, 2nd ride in damp (not wet, just damp) conditions and it rusted to hell and developed 4 or 5 stiff links that I couldn't get freed up.

It was only a quid or two cheaper than a real one from CRC too. Doh!

Yup fake as hell, they are utter shite... I got stung when I first set up my repairs business with some off ebay but thankfully got my £ back, thankfully nowadays I have proper Shimano trade acct :)... oddly I actually prefer KMC X8 & X9 for all 7-9spd duties and then Shimano for 10, 11 & 12 speed duties :)

These chains have been around since at least 2020 - bought one and it looks to be copied from an already well used chain as its floppy straight out of the packaging. I think its on the pub bike

You have to sift through a lot of shite but there are genuine Shimano chains but KMC, SRAM etc are much better

YBN have been ok so far on a 10spd set up

just make sure your chains have recognisable brand names

*Oh, and:

:LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I was sent one via a bike shop online ! Having already sent one back and reported it to ebay last year.

This one had a genuine box in the picture and then i got sent a fake. Money came back through PayPal and the seller said he had no idea they were fake.

I think with the supply issues from shimano, this problem is almost at pandemic proportions.

I think for the small saving to be made, supporting a proper branded retailer is sensible. Woolyhatshop were best value last time I purchased, but even CRC, Wiggle or even halfrauds.

I bought one of those fake IG51 chains off of the well known auction site, so cheap that I thought I had to be fake but I’ll give it a go.

On first impressions I thought maybe I’d got lucky - that was until I tried to set up gears, it simply wouldn’t work in unison with the rest of the drive chain components.

I’ve since removed it (and it’ll be heading for the bin), but have taken a closer look at the tooling / stamps before I throw it away, not only are the text stamps all over the place…
E7A55657-7E2F-41E4-9F20-E149C21C8916.jpeg

but, yes that really does say ‘MARROW’ 🤣 🤣🤣

If only I had that chain for the marrow wide I purchased from reputable bike brand Wolfteeth... Or absoluteback

I bought one of those fake IG51 chains off of the well known auction site, so cheap that I thought I had to be fake but I’ll give it a go.

On first impressions I thought maybe I’d got lucky - that was until I tried to set up gears, it simply wouldn’t work in unison with the rest of the drive chain components.

I’ve since removed it (and it’ll be heading for the bin), but have taken a closer look at the tooling / stamps before I throw it away, not only are the text stamps all over the place…
View attachment 634463

but, yes that really does say ‘MARROW’ 🤣 🤣🤣
good lord, I don't think my fakes were even quite as fake as that! I suspected mine were with how easy the pins pushed out but this really is something else... looks hand made... by a child :eek:

Latest posts

Back