Fake Chris King headsets....? How to tell??

even 10yrs ago CK was ultra paranoid about folks ripping off his patents
AIUI they claimed their headset design was far superior to the wedge system design which Cane Creek owned the patent for...until that patent ran out when they immediately switched and started producing conversion kits to retrofit to the older headsets.

I dunno, maybe that's an urban legend but I know for sure though that you can spot a steerer that's been in a King headset from a mile off and I've never seen another headset, no matter how poorly adjusted, damage a steerer in the way that a King will/can.

There was an implication a while ago, I think I saw it on here, that there are some knock off Chris King copy headsets about. When I looked at the link to the one being shown on eBay, I honestly would have thought it was genuine.

What should I be looking for to tell if it's fake, is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing or is it a subtle difference?

Ta!
Old thread but I just bought a load of these off AliExpress, someone I met on a group ride recommended them to me on Sunday and I asked around and they are apparently quite good, sealed bearings.

The only differences are that the ‘NO’ on the upper race is in caps and not lower case like the real thing and also the top caps on the black ones are not as good finish as rest of bike.

Headsets in the pics belong to @Yaldie but mine are on their way!

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0702.jpeg
    IMG_0702.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 21
Mate …. They are fake a mile off. The text is too narrow and they look snide.

Plus the bearings look completely different to a legit one too.

How much were they out of interest?

Mate …. They are fake a mile off. The text is too narrow and they look snide.

Plus the bearings look completely different to a legit one too.

How much were they out of interest?
I don’t think they look that bad Dom, they are only £15 so worth it.

Old thread but I just bought a load of these off AliExpress, someone I met on a group ride recommended them to me on Sunday and I asked around and they are apparently quite good, sealed bearings.

The only differences are that the ‘NO’ on the upper race is in caps and not lower case like the real thing and also the top caps on the black ones are not as good finish as rest of bike.

like saying, hey I bought a few stolen cars today ... I know they are stolen, but they are cheap.

you got a link please?

Back