extending ahead fork steerer

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a giant cadex, with the original threaded steerer alloy fork which is very flexy and doesn't inspire a large amount of confidence. I took a chance on a carbon fork with a steel ahead steerer last year. The steerer is a little short, but long enough for the frame, headset, and about half the stem clamp. I can however fit one of those threaded-to-ahead stem type converters though, since the steel steerer is the same diameter and thickness as any other 1" steel steerer. So my thinking is this... just fit the extender to the fork, then fit the fork, stem, etc as usual. The stem would clamp half on the fork, half on the extender. I would probably cut the top half of the extender off too, so there's only a single spacer abover the stem. So the stem would be clamped partly on the fork, and partly on the extender, which will be clamped into the fork anyway with the expander bolt. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine, or am I missing something?

Anyone got a nice ahead stem for 1" steerer in aprox 120mm?

That's what I'd do Foz. My thinking there isn't a lot of stress on the fork column when you're riding and steering anyway.

Back