Entry level rust bucket . . . but it's red! Specialized Hardrock Comp 2003

Inaugural outing this afternoon and it rides so nicely - been playing away with BMX and DH bikes so flat bars and a lower (for me) front end were a revelation . . .

View attachment 853089
View attachment 853091
. . . that said, even I couldn't predict that my first upgrade would be the frame 😲🤭

I don't know who else was watching the little Gulf Stumpy on the 'Bay (I think the same one that CassidyAce was offering for collection last month). Well, I'm a sucker for a bit of blue and orange so it would've been rude not to and I'm always up for a decal retouch challenge 🖌️🔍

I guess I'll need to make a new thread . . . watch this space!
Yes, it was the Stumpy that was collected last month. I recognise the battle scars. Nice, light frame, but too small for me. I'll be interested to see what you do with it. I still have the Spesh handlebar if you want it for the cost of postage. It's been cut to about 54-55cm IIRC: too short for me and, to judge by the Hardrock photos, you too; however, it's there if you want it.

Aww thank you, but yes I too prefer a wider bar hence the wide-ass motorcycle bars I fitted to the Hardrock (super-wide 25.4 flat bars are super hard to find). Looking forward to the paint resto/retouch and build and I'll certainly update 👍 If you have any pics of the bike as it was originally I'd be interested to see them.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the Gulf Stumpy as a full bike. I'm surprised I didn't take photos of it; however, I was really preoccupied with other things at the time. The spec was as follows though: Thomson seatpost, LX shifters and XT mechs from the Mega 9 era, XT brake levers and XT parallel push V brakes, RaceFace chainset and stem, Manitou Skareb fork in black, Mavic rims (one on an XT hub and the other on XTR). It had been left somewhere damp and the saddle and grips were mouldy, smelly and went straight in the bin. I kept the parts I wanted and sold or gave away the rest. The bike had been loved, well used, then neglected. :(

Hey no worries - thanks for the spec list though 👍 Something to aspire to even though it'll be built with pretty basic kit off the Hardrock to start with - looking forward to the upgrades it deserves as funds allow 💸

Back