Elastomer experts - help please

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
I've recently picked up a set of Manitous that are in fantastic condition! Before I ride them I cracked them open to see what lay in wait inside... the elastomers (red) look clean, not deformed and really in good condition... however they are tacky to the touch and can mark easily with a fingernail etc.

I suspect that upon first ride of these they will deform to chewing gum, is there any way to rescue them and keep them good that actually works - maybe applying heat or perhaps cold?

NOTE - the last time I tried a remedy to keep a nos expensive tyre good involved someone on here suggesting to put it in the oven for a while, after a few beers one night and with the mrs out I tried this... only to receive a royal bollocking as our entire house smelt for 2 days like I'd done a full on burnout in the kitchen!!

I would like not to upset the mrs again, cheers guys :)

Buying new replacements from https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/ would be the safe option. Explain the alternative to madam and she may offer the money!. I have a RS Quadra 5 and the elastomer looks OK but in use lacks support. I changed the fork anyway since the Q5 never was very good.

Re:

I wouldn't get them from there, there is a chap on here selling better locally.

If you want to risk, try them. if not buy new or spring them.

Re:

The Retrobike members name is in this post somewhere:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=364025

I bought a set of elastomers from him as you will see and they are great.

Edit:

I found the post info shown below:

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm

'I just ordered a set of the elastomers from Retrobike member 'RVA' (See link in the above post) for £36. He's in Hungary so he'll be posting them and I should have them soon. I'll update this post when they arrive.'

Re:Elastomers

Just going through the same search for Manitou Magnums for a '95 Pine Mountain build.

RVA has some compression elastomers to suit see facebook 'Replacement Elastomers' - Hungary £ TBA

I need full rebuild kit and seals all available fork specific at 'suspensionforkparts.com' price $100 del to UK.

Cheers guys, yes John Deverill up Sheffield way (forgive the surname spelling if wrong John)! I have also bought some replacement MCUs from him for my Mani3s and also Mani1s - just wanted to keep costs down and see if I could in some way save these stock elastomers. Anyhow, since posting this lastnight I went to workshop earlier and I had stored the removed elastomers on the side, the sadly now resemble melted cheese - not sure if it was yesterdays heat/sunlight/fresh air lol... but sad to say its game over for them.... "John, more MCUs needed for this fat lad"... haha!

Back