eBay sellers not answering questions!

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
When I put the occasional item on eBay, I'm happy to answer any question I get asked, in the expectation that it may help with the sale.

I can't understand the logic of those that can't be bothered to answer simple questions for items they are selling! Especially sellers with high quantity 100% feedback :?
Even when I start a message with "I'm very interested in the .... you're selling..." there's often simply no response, the listing then runs it's course, doesn't sell, gets relisted over and over... :roll:

I've had sellers of items I'm watching send me offers at an amount I'm happy with, so I've responded thanking them and saying it's acceptable if they could just tell me ...., and then no response?! :facepalm:

On the plus side, their sales avoidance does save my wallet! :LOL:

Re:

I’m guessing it’s down to what you are asking? And on what item/price?

Not saying you fit into the reason why I don’t respond but below is my reason ....

I sell a fair amount on eBay and respond to probably 99% of questions. However some I simply make the judgment that the person asking is going to be a nightmare to deal with and I ignore it. Whether they be asking something that’s covered in the description , pictures or something that is unrealistic for the item/price.

Sometimes the best sale is the one you don’t make is a good motto I live by.

I’d rather relist a item and even not sell it than have grief off someone unrealistic.

Having sold on eb for many years, i always reply to every question, on the logic that if i ignore, even the stupid, obviously not going to buy, or trying to get it for far less than its on for type, then they actually buy it, they are then entitled to leave bad/neutral feedback for the experience.

Plenty of shops or high volume sellers tend not to reply, usually too busy i should imagine.

Re: Re:

d8mok":3o869pu3 said:
I’m guessing it’s down to what you are asking? And on what item/price?
Not saying you fit into the reason why I don’t respond but below is my reason ....
I sell a fair amount on eBay and respond to probably 99% of questions. However some I simply make the judgment that the person asking is going to be a nightmare to deal with and I ignore it. Whether they be asking something that’s covered in the description , pictures or something that is unrealistic for the item/price.
Sometimes the best sale is the one you don’t make is a good motto I live by.
I’d rather relist a item and even not sell it than have grief off someone unrealistic.

Well I do hope I'm not being ignored due to them thinking I'm going to be grief :oops:

I'm only talking about simple answerable questions - which are are often only being asked as a result of a poor picture/description, such as hole count on hubs/wheels - kind of key to the items description in my mind!

Or, "can you combine postage on a couple of items you are selling please?"

I've currently asked a seller if the seatpost on the bike he is selling moves freely/isn't seized. Now, I can understand why he might not be willing to answer that question on something that is listed as for parts not working....

I think you get good or bad whatever selling forum you use. Some people communicate, and those who don’t. I always try and respond to questions however stupid they might be, as i see it as a potential sale. However, I have had bad experiences on here even, selling stuff, people’s expectations being unrealistic. I do get slightly peeved, when I spend a lot of time on the description, for the person to message me something that is already been described on my description. Anyway am moving house tomorrow, so got to carry on packing!

Re:

So here’s my take on those Examples

On a pair of hubs I agree that hole count is important. Hubs will usually be sold by someone into bikes so I’d expect that in a advert or to be answered.

For wheels it would depend on who’s selling. The average seller/buyer of wheels won’t care so much how Many spokes there is if they are built. I’d probably answer that one but I understand why people don’t. I’ve certainly never asked someone that question on built wheels.

Combined postage is a hassle for many high volume sellers. As the app doesn’t allow you to send a combined invoice without logging onto a iPad/pc etc. I’d answer that one though for sure.

I do think it’s relevant on what item and what price point you are asking these questions. And also if you write anything else at all?

If I’m selling a XTR/517 or Ringle wheels at several hundred quid then they are perfectly reasonable questions. But if I list a pair of Cheap wheels for less than market value I wouldn’t be spending ages replying to multiple questions about spokes etc.

Same for cheap bikes - sometimes I buy job lot of bikes where I get some decent retro bikes but also some junk cheap bikes. I list these cheap and for parts etc and I wouldn’t be messing about a answering lots of questions when all I want is a no hassle sale. I’d rather skip it than have someone come to view and expect the world for £20

Not saying this applies to you.

I’ve never sent a question on eBay and had no response. Even when I low ball people.

Re:

Combined postage is easy, as a seller just offer free P&P, saves any issues with combining postage requests,and probably works out cheaper from a sellers point of view.

Sometimes, just sometimes you get the really daft questions where the buyer just hasn’t read the description at all, I try and put all necessary information in my listings but still get the kind of questions which makes me question the buyers sanity :LOL: I just straight up blocked one buyer at the weekend for daft questions, as d8mok said, I’d rather not sell and avoid complications rather than make the sale and live to wish I hadn’t! There’s always other buyers out there to sell to.

I’m sure your questions are considered though, I can only assume that the seller saw the question and simply forgot to reply , hasn’t the time to go check and reply to every question they get , or Hasn’t answered because they just don’t know.

Sold something last week, was about to post today when I got a message yesterday asking to cancel - when I asked why it was 'it doesnt fill a role' so asked what roll; 'oh it doesnt have HDMI sockets'

:facepalm:

This guy had put offer after offer in and the pics CLEARLY showed it had no HDMI sockets (a kind of digital Scart) so I simply sent him a message saying 'You're a dick'

I refunded him anyway and pulled the item as I'd had enough.

Re:

Ive recently had poor ebay experience, though I did answer any questions asked.

One none payer. 3 scam bids from Russia, one buyer claiming the item is broken (mint set of shifters which were 100% fully working prior to posting) and another claiming a fully serviced and unused since shock doesn't work (fully tested and working before selling, as you'd expect a fully serviced by a professional shock to be).

You can't leave negative feedback for non-payers, and ebay always sides with the buyer in disputes, so to protect my 100% feedback I have to simply accept a buyer breaking an item on receipt or simply not happy for whatever reason and lose out. I'll probably get back some bit of junk they had which my perfectly good items were bought to replace.

Yes, fed up with ebay. It favours chancers and scanners in my view.

not sure. I was looking to purchase a 97 trek y22 from Britain, and I asked if he would ship around 3 times, and he didn't answer, and kept relisting the bike until he took it off months later. Absolutely no logic in that! :?: :?:

Latest posts

Back