L1050225.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 465
  • L1050226.JPG
    L1050226.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 465
Re: Re:

VeloFellow54":33lmz1u7 said:
Thanks Jon
I have added photos showing the frame number stamped into both dropouts - although one is not very clear as it has been somewhat 'chewed up' but wheel nuts. Also a picture of the number stamped into the fork tube. Lastly I have added a photo of the seat cluster. I hope that this will enable accurate identification and an idea of date.
Steve

Hi Steve,

the frameset is not a Stan Butler Special, but a nice early Allin nonetheless. A pal of mine could date it but he's an old timer and difficult (sometimes) to contact.

Jon.

Thanks Jon
Appreciate the advice. Looks like this one will go onto ebay. Little point in trying to restore an 'anonymous' frame. Can I assume that the decals are wrong also ? It has the Stan Butler transfer on the seat tube in gold - only the small panel at the top where 'special' should be is completely unreadable. I do not wish to offer this for sale and mislead anyone if I can help it
Steve

Just acquired another Allin. This time a very late one. It is a Stan Butler Special in pale blue with frame number 2303. I suspect that it is early 80's judging by the components. The seller told me that it is completely original, but I wish to check that it is. Anyone on here with a similar machine from a similar date ?

VeloFellow54":qtjxm7za said:
Just acquired another Allin. This time a very late one. It is a Stan Butler Special in pale blue with frame number 2303. I suspect that it is early 80's judging by the components. The seller told me that it is completely original, but I wish to check that it is. Anyone on here with a similar machine from a similar date ?

I have several Allin frames - Allin cycles, with Roberts was one of my LBSs. The latest frame I have is one of the very last genuine Allin frames (built by Peter Cobb): my frame is 23** and yours is slightly earlier than mine so very late 1979 or very early 1980.

Jon.

Re:

Thanks Jon,
I am still holding onto the early Allin SB in the hope of final identification.
The 'new' one is fitted with the following components :
Birmalux seatpost
GB Neta stem
Weinmann 610 centrepull brakes with black spot levers
Brooks B17 saddle
SR Apex chainset
SR quill pedals
Shimano 600 gears (pre arabesque) - 5 speed
Normandy high flange hubs with chrome plated rims
BB / headset / bars - not identified yet.
The seller' father bought this from Allin's new. Told me it was made to order. He claimed that the parts were all original. He is in Tadworth so the bike had not travelled very far. Herewith photo in 'as found' condition.
Plan is to keep the paint (perhaps get some matched in order to 'touch in' where required), replace decals where necessary - partcularly the Reynolds decals which have disintegrated - replace any 'wrong' parts - then ride it !!
Steve, Brandon

Attachments

• L1050419.JPG
    L1050419.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 296
Back