Drop bar advice

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all
As per the title I have got this drop bar itch that needs scratching but I need some advice , this is going to be a ride to work budget build trying to use as many bits as I can from the parts bin .
I have a 95 Kona Cinder cone f+f that I’m thinking of using but also Raleigh M Trax ti1000 frame but no forks .I can put together an 8 or 9 speed Shimano drive train but I can’t really run to brifters so wondered about the sun race bar end shifter ? Anyone tried them at all ? I believe they will index with Shimano although I will need levers to run v brakes .
Any thoughts ? apart from don’t 😂
Cheers Paul

I have a pair of 8 speed Shimano RX100 Brifters that you could have for cheep. They work fine, but have a few scuffs from being used - so perfect for on a commuter 😉.

I am just about finishing up a similar project based around a 92 Breezer Sky frame and forks. A proper parts-bin special. The only thing I’ve bought for it is a pair of Schwalbe City Jet tyres (£15 each from Halfords).

Last edited:
A road bike frame that fits you will typically have a reach 6-8 cm shorter than an MTB frame that fits you. So if the MTBs fit. Prepare to use a very short stem

Mattr, i’ve fixed/worked around that by using an inline seat post (thus “steepening the seat tube” and shortening the reach) so a 90mm stem seems to work fine for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys , I actually have an in-line post and 90 mm stem put by for the project !
Grahame , what brakes and front mech do you run with the brifters ? Maybe you could pm me with an idea of what you might want for them too .
Cheers Paul

Thanks for the info guys , I actually have an in-line post and 90 mm stem put by for the project !
Grahame , what brakes and front mech do you run with the brifters ? Maybe you could pm me with an idea of what you might want for them too .
Cheers Paul
I’m using standard ‘92 Shimano LX cantilever brakes and front mech. Because they are what was on the frame. They work fine with my Ultegra brifters and there’s no reason to suspect that similar wouldn’t work with the RX100s (it is the type of kit loads of people used on cyclocross bikes in the mid - late 90s).
As for a price for the brifters, not much. I’m unlikely to use them and I’d rather they did get used. How would £25 posted sound to you?

I’m using standard ‘92 Shimano LX cantilever brakes and front mech. Because they are what was on the frame. They work fine with my Ultegra brifters and there’s no reason to suspect that similar wouldn’t work with the RX100s (it is the type of kit loads of people used on cyclocross bikes in the mid - late 90s).
As for a price for the brifters, not much. I’m unlikely to use them and I’d rather they did get used. How would £25 posted sound to you?
Hi , that sounds spot on , pm me your details and I will sort it out 👍
Oh and is the front double or triple ?
Thanks again Paul.

Mattr, i’ve fixed/worked around that by using an inline seat post (thus “steepening the seat tube” and shortening the reach) so a 90mm stem seems to work fine for me.
Don't steepen it too much, or your position will all be to shit and might be uncomfortable for longer rides.

Don't steepen it too much, or your position will all be to shit and might be uncomfortable for longer rides.
I do have a few seatpost and stem options in the box to play with 😊 my thought was that the Kona is pretty long in the top tube but we shall see lol ! Never done the drop bar thing so it’s a learning curve .

Latest posts

Back