Drop bar advice

I've done a few conversions to drops over the years and Konas are not easy as they tend to have longer top tubes than most. Good luck, but you may well find it's not a happy swap. Lower-end Marins or Specialized work well, likewise Dawes (currently enjoying a 653 Edge with drops).

I've done a few conversions to drops over the years and Konas are not easy as they tend to have longer top tubes than most. Good luck, but you may well find it's not a happy swap. Lower-end Marins or Specialized work well, likewise Dawes (currently enjoying a 653 Edge with drops).
Early to mid ‘90s Trek bikes are also good for drop bar conversion for the normal spined humans (I’m long in the spine and short in the leg, so long top tubes work for me), they had shorter top tubes than most with 800 series frames being shorter than 900 series, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
For those considering making a retro mountainbike into a commuter (or a tourer), Planet X has the world's best* mudguards reduced from £44.99 to £14.99 - a bargain way to keep your bum dry on the commute.

*My opinion, other opinions are available**.
**They are wrong, but they are available.

Last edited:
er, Cough.......

AEC0E0BB-181C-42DF-90F0-ADA10EE9FCAC.jpeg

B9E29F15-264A-42E0-A2F7-B8309F1BEB15.jpeg
You'll need a stem as above and the lever tops are at about your normal bar height so resting on them is the default position. Bar end shifters are the way to go otherwise you're always reaching to change rather than making things more stable. (i have a habit of looking down as i change)

Last edited:
Mattr is on the ball here. All the mechanicals of shifting etc. is solved easy enough, but your position is key to enjoy the bike and meet expectations.

Ideally, invest in a stem that reduces your rearch by about 5 - 8 cm and lifts the height by about the same; high rise stems with a very short length are needed. Then look for what is called shallow reach and shallow drop bars. Once you settle on the right stem and bars, the rest is easy enough.

Back