Wanted Donor bike or set of full parts to build up sentimental frame (SORTED)

oliverracing

Old School Hero
Hi All, I've had my 1995(ish) Raleigh M-Trax 2000 Ti sat in the garage for a couple of years (frame only) but really want to build her back up as a useable bike as I have so many great memories riding it as was my first proper MTB (in 2012) which I then did a few long tours with before retiring it due to running out of space and money.

I've been shopping for all the parts needed for the last month or so but think to get the quality of build it deserves for the budget I can afford I think I've going to have to split an existing bike as parts prices are pretty silly at the moment! All I have is the frame, stem (1 1/8 threadless) and seatpost so it's a pretty long shopping list and building it up full STX-RC (or similar) as it was originally is going to be £300+ as far as I can tell. I also need a fork but happy to go for a non matching rigid that I can paint or fit something bouncy roughly of era.

So what I'm really after is a donor build, ideally with a knackered or cheap frame, happy to source a few parts if needed but ideally would come with the majority of what I need! Also not fixed on group set and might be able to stretch the budget for something nicer. Also not fussed on year - ideally 1993-1998 but could be convinced to go newer as I ran some 00's 9s XT on it for a few years.

Based near Banbury but can travel an hour or so for pickup, or happy to pay for postage if it's a box of parts or cheap enough to post!

I have up to £150 that I want to spend on this, but ideally cheaper the better.

Last edited:
STX RC is fairly cheap.

I’ve got a rear mech and a front mech 31.8BP which is for sale currently.

I may also have shifters/brakes etc available shortly.

Yeah, groupset isn't going to be the biggest cost, it's the fact I have almost no parts from the original build so effectively need to get everything, even at £5-10 an item it soon gets silly when you start adding £3-5 postage per item! I put together a spreadsheet using prices from on here/ebay and got to about £200 before adding postage and all the little bits that you forget!

Of course buying bits in bundles helps, I just know a lot of people have builds that sit in the garage with little to no use so thought I'd ask first!

Just stumbled across this...

If you don't mind fettling I'll be happy to donate a STX-RC front and rear mech for free/karma. Front mech is 28.6 band/top pull which should be spot on.

They will need a very good cleaning up and the rear mech will need some new jockey wheels - they're the most shot I've ever seen! Give me a shout if you're interested and I'll dig them out :)

Looks like I may have a donor bike for the wheels, bars and fork but it's already had the groupset removed to so yes please I'd love to take you up on that offer, of course don't mind fettling, that's part of the reason for building this back up! - will send you a message!

Back