Done: 1993 Giant Cadex CFM1 build

mr_gumby

rBotM Winner
Hello again,

Finished the bike today and here are some pictures taken at the first ride:
https://imgur.com/a/Ui3W3

As I said in the original post, I didn't want to rebuild the frame with the m900 XTR-parts for monetary reasions and because I wanted to do something with some SACHS-Parts I had.

The bike:
-Sachs 6000 crank set and hubs
-Sachs New Success brakes and rear derailleur
-Sachs NEOS TP front mech
-Rims: Mavic M231CD front and Rando M4 back
-PowerGrip Pro Shifters
-Pedals: NC17, silver with clips and straps
-Stem: Ergotec 2 (possibly to be replaced)
-Saddle: Selle Royal Seta (found this one to be quite comfortable and lightweight)

Super stiff and rides like a charm. Think this one's a keeper!

Cheers,

Daniel

I like that, some nice touches on it. Only thing i would change if it were mine is the stem, for somethng a bit lower oh and i would remove most of those donuts on the top tube :LOL:

The 6000 parts go well with the frame, there is a rear mech on ebay at the moment :)

Mark

Re:

The rear mech from Romania? I am watching that atm :D
The New Success-derailleur was one of the parts I got a while ago and which made me want to use Sachs-parts. It's just a real beauty.

Ah, yes, the stem. My brain translated this into "seatpost". Yes, I thought about changing the stem.
I got this CrMo one because it looks exactly like the one in the catalog:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13713

About those Donuts:

Attachments

• WP_20180309_004.jpg
    WP_20180309_004.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 699
Re:

Good work! I like this alot,especially the sachs stuff. I think the stem is about right tbh but donut bloody overload!

Re:

Thanks for the positive feedback so far!
Okay okay, I've removed two out of seven from each cable...which is perhaps still too much but I really want to avoid scratches :D

How much would you put on?

Nice one :cool:!

Got the off-white Mag21 forks that were on this bike available, in case you're after a bit more riding comfort..

Enjoy it, looks great.

Re:

Shouldn´t surprise me to find you here, well it´s more surprising to find another retro dude at a cooking event ;)
Bike has turned out lovely! The blue Sachs stuff really goes well together with the frame. Hope you managed to utilize the warm weather today and let ´er rip. What do you think about the twisty shifting?
Cheers
Dr

Re:

Ha! What a pleasant (yet not so big) surprise.
Our chat really did augment the occasion :)

Haven't had the chance to take her for a proper spin yet but the first forays around the park were great. Those grip shifters do their job but I'll have to get used to it. They're not as grippy as the ones with the wavey grip-design I used to have on my '97 Cannondale M700 (UltraGrip?) .
Frame's super stiff and handles well.
I'm excited about your (future) projects!

Have a great week!

Cheers,
-Daniel

Re:

I was more thinking about unintended shifting, but I see there´s also a lockout. I once had the Campy Bullets on one of my bikes and they were horrid. Granted you shifted with the whole grip with these.

Ya, new project is hopefully getting its seat tube stretched next week, if that goes well I´ll get a proper thread up here.
But I´m in no hurry, there´s enough bikes ready to roll. When the opportunity arises we should really go for a ride. Would love to throw a leg over the Sachsy Giant.

Cheers
Dr

Back