Do you ever wonder what happened to...

I occasionally think about them. But then I remember the nin disclosure agreements and it all goes away again. 🤪

Plenty of mine are still around the retro Orange scene but I do wonder what happened to my mint Vitamin T? My original Clockwork from bitd too, never saw that again after I stupidly sold it. Oh, and the 1992 GT RTS-1 frame I had too....

Its nice to see some of them bring new joy to others, especially kids. Bikes make us all happy and we need a lot more of that, says this soppy ol git 😀✌🏼

I wonder where all those white Konas went - there was a big fad for white Kona resprays 10 years ago.
I had a 94' Explosif that I'd resprayed in pearl white - sold it about 15 years ago but spotted it for sale again on here 11 years later. Bought it back and it is now back in the original olive green :)

Kind of.. I keep things by habit, I sold my first car.. then bought it back 16 years later locally through luck.. v8 60's Land rover look forward to driving that again!
With bikes I have had an originally white Kona kileaua from almost new, and still do and still white but nothing to do with fashion!
I sold various bikes, none of which I regret Cannondales, Gt , Marin, Trek - although the was my first half decent mtb and not built from skip parts! I would buy another of those out of nostalgia but all these rode in ways I grew out of or board of after I bought the Kona!
Like my vehicle taste its informed at a young age and many things I try and I still prefer what ive got. Buying my Kona made all else pretty much irrelevant because I love that bike. As I got old enough to want more relaxed bikes for a slower or fatter pace of exercise too i thought of others again...!
The one sale I regretted was I got fat and out of bikes , sold my Whyte prst 1 to my oldest mate for what I paid...
then lost weight five years later and pined for another which I bought, turned out to be cracked.. so roll on five years later once more and immediately post covid as the covid tax bubble burst I got a mint prst 4 .
I need to lose a bit of weight still to ride it in anger, but I guess sometimes it all works out, the prst 4 solved all the issues so I consider it much more usable, and my first land rover turned up virtually next door, and came home at a time when I had skills and space too restore it..
I guess what I am saying is often if you are open and look out, you can get something else, often people who cannot use bikes or vehicles anything, they are not looking to sell, but if they meet someone passionate they will talk...
It was a chance conversation got me the second Whyte from the next village, it was also a chance conversation which brought the land rover home he wasn't selling, I kept in touch which was easy as he was in a workshop nearby, in the end he realised he wanted it to get done, and would enjoy seeing it lovely and being used more than blocking his shed up! He's looking forward to a ride in it when I finish it.
A couple of bikes have been bought this way, and buying from someone who smiles when you clearly know more about there bike than they do and are getting excited instead of playing poker face , and trying to hammer the price etc is deeply satisfying.

I've never sold any of my projects (much to the consternation of my wife!) I will need to educate my kids on what each of my bikes is and their worth as they will be the one's disposing of them when I go off to the great bicycle shop in the sky ;)

Back