Do Retro MTB enthusiasts ride new bikes, too?

Yes, I much prefer my modern, carbon, 6x6, disc-brake and dropper equipped wonder bike! :cool:
I'm pretty much that way with all modern tech stuff...cars, motorbikes, etc. they are "better."

But for me, that's not the point of the retro stuff. I'm fascinated by mechanical tech stuff and history. So it's a look to the past to see where we've come from, and how thing have progressed.
It's also about the experience. For example, as a long time roadbiker, I've done many century rides. Well for one of them, I rode a bike from 1972, with all rider kit from the early '70's- it was fun!
I've had cars and motorbikes from years before I was born, to get a bit of understanding of what it was like to drive in that era.

Finally, it's cool to preserve this stuff, and get it out there for people to see and appreciate. It's fun to get a bike, especially early suspension, back to new spec. take it for a ride and realize what was considered a hi-tec "plush" ride back in the day! :)

Just heading out on my regular rider ... A 2012 Kona King Kahuna 29er. I get a retrobike bike out about 1-2 times a week, the Kona is used twice as much.

No shame in enjoying both ... is all sweat and mud.

My retros make me smile and feel young at heart, real time machines.

My modern rocket lets me do things I never could on a mountain bike before, and makes me feel young again!

Having both really lets me appreciate the evolution of these bikes and what amazing tools they are! I suppose the performance difference between our retro sleds and what is available now is akin to the difference between BMXs and mid-90s mtbs.

Which bike I choose to ride has more to do with where I am planning on riding. Some trails are better suited to an old school bike, trails being developed today pretty much require using a modern monster truck...

deoreo":vmaf7hhj said:
Yes, I much prefer my modern, carbon, 6x6, disc-brake and dropper equipped wonder bike! :cool:
I'm pretty much that way with all modern tech stuff...cars, motorbikes, etc. they are "better."

Exactly. A 2015 Golf Diesel out accelerates, out handles, out grips and out runs a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. But I know which is more fun to drive...

I think people often fail to realise that riding pleasure exists on a completely different axis to bike capability.

Re:

Like many, for proper off road I have recently put together
a hard tail round a frame that I liked the geometry of.
I wanted to fit decent front shocks and hydraulic disc brakes.
Love it.
(It was the disc brake issue that took me down the modern frame route.)

Mooching about I have an old Raleigh Pioneer hybrid covered in retro bits.
It is my workhorse.
Just looking to build a road bike from Kirk precision frame.
(always fancied trying one properly since I first tried it when they first came out.)

Horses for courses.
Whatever you fancy. It is fun.

OBillyHill":3m3kbk9n said:
I was chatting with a friend about retro mountain bikes. I have a late 80s Ritchey P-23 that I love, and is currently being rebuilt with original parts. My friend didn't think retro guys like me ride newer bikes much. I have 6 bikes total, a retro MTB and retro Road, the rest post2010. Personally I ride the newer stuff more because it's lighter and better shock absorption, but also I'm a lot older myself!

So, I am curious how many new bikes you retro collectors/enthusiasts own. Also, do you ride new and old, or are the retro bikes more restoration and collectibles?

Thanks for helping solve the argument.
in terms of performance there is no comparison between new and old, period, Mountainbikes in particular have come very far since the 90s. I like the simplicity of older bikes but i like the practicality of newer ones but i also dont like wheels bigger than 26" so I have just one bike atm, an all rounder which i build to be usable but compatibilty with older bikes isnt always as easy as it seems

Sean

Have had various bikes but never had one newer than 2002.
My Kula is 2002.
Still got my 1995 Hahanna.

I do if you class 2010 as modern and my retro is a bit of a retromod so is very similar to the modern in many aspects .

Back