Do modern groupsets last less?

Just wanted to point out next to the durability another thing.
Nowadays components don't have this great finish any longer. Just use them in rough conditions without much cleaning for a winter season and you see obviously some wear. Colors fade, screws getting rusty or at least some kind of irreparabel oxidation starts.
While I have many 30 years old bikes which had been not cleaned the last decade and standing outside or used as daily to get to the underground station, but components look now after cleaning allmost like new again. In particular groups of early nineties (XT II, DX, sure XTR M900, but even the LX550) are superior when it comes to this great finish, unmatched.
This is true. Nowadays shimano just uses black shiny paint, 20 years ago they did it differently. I still have black painted LX groupsets but even the black paint on them was something else, and the aluminium surfaces were very nice. Not to mention M900, they looked amazing even after 15 years.

The "piano" finish on the modern stuff is way too shiny and makes the parts look cheap in my opinion, also i imagine any mark on the paint will ruin the finish because it's so shiny.

I agree that as a rule of thumb, modern bikes fit better and are more comfortable.

Personally i hate the levers on old road bikes, i simply cannot use them, they cut through my hand while riding if that makes sense. Why did they make them so skinny, and the ergonomics are very awkward.

Solution, put modern brifters on your vintage road bike for comfort alone, don't have to actually use the shifters(my 80s Basso is a 6x2 setup, so not compatible anyway).

Is the industry making the bicycle too complicated? From humble beginnings to index gears, clip less pedals, full suspension, wireless gears, 13 speed, disc brakes and now the most pointless of them all the electric bike. What next?

Is the industry making the bicycle too complicated? From humble beginnings to index gears, clip less pedals, full suspension, wireless gears, 13 speed, disc brakes and now the most pointless of them all the electric bike. What next?

The electric bike certainly isn't pointless. It keeps/gets people riding. Mine was a godsend post surgery when I couldn't even walk 100 yards. It's also been great for allowing me to live car free in a hilly location while still transporting all of the food, and other shopping. Also, it means I can go for a run in the morning, bike into work and teach a physically demanding activity for 3 hours - and then cycle home in all weathers without it becoming a suffer fest and be home at a reasonable time.

and now the most pointless of them all the electric bike. What next?
I need a hip replacement and my ebike is a life saver. Some days im relatively fine and pain free and can ride a regular bike, some days I have to walk with a cane and I just couldn't ride at all without the ebike assistance.

Its also encouraging, albeit very slowly, people out of their cars for the commute who otherwise wouldn't consider a bicycle. I know two who have done so. That is a very good thing indeed.

They're not everyone's cup of tea for sure, and many riders would have no genuine use for one, but take it from me - they're very far from useless.

Last edited:
I need a hip replacement and my ebike is a life saver. Some days im relatively fine and pain free, some days I have to walk with a cane and I just couldn't ride at all without the ebike assistance.

Its also encouraging, albeit very slowly, people out of their cars for the commute who otherwise wouldn't consider a bicycle. I know two who have done so. That is a very good thing indeed.

They're not everyone's cup of tea for sure, and many riders would have no genuine use for one, but take it from me - they're very far from useless.
I'm all for things that reduce reliance on cars and get people mobile, but an ebike cost is almost as much as a small car, then you have the problem no one has yet really solved: battery disposal.

Getting back on topic, as I'm sure I've already seen/read, it is no surprise things wear out faster as the need for things to be narrower has grown to accommodate ever more gears on what looks like a dustbin lid cassette on ever bigger wheels.

I think there are components (like rhumbies) or periods where things were made well, made light and lasted. I think the m952 groupset was about as good as it got back then, race performance and weight but that also lasted. It's so annoying that the BB is a v1 spline and a length never done in road BB (or widhe most of the time too), as aside from heel rub, it just lasts and lasts (though the brake linkage can get rattly, service kits could be had for these).

The laws with ebikes omg how backward,
You can't go faster than an average Joe on a push bike..so daft! But you can buy a an overweight executive intergalactic missile of a Tesla but your not having more than 15.5 mph on a bicycle!
Jeez french kids get to ride mopeds at 14 years of age..

Back