disengagement issue with my cassette/hub on CrossMax SLs

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
funny little problem, and I haven't taken it apart yet. I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone knows before I start getting my hands dirty and losing extremely important things when trying to put it back together

The cassette (and possibly hub) disengages. It slides towards the chainstay and the cranks spin freely in both directions.. Only when you push it back towards the centre line of the wheel does it re-engage. Could it be a missing spacer behind the cassette? are the pawls on the way out? I know for a fact that the lock ring is good and tight.

It's currently got a 9 speed cassette on there and I'm pretty sure that's what was on it before it came to me.

any one got any bright ideas?

ta

The freewheeling ratchets are inside the hub body. It sounds to me like the end bolt on the axle that holds the freehub body into the hub has failed, allowing the freehub body to slide outwards and disengage. Take the wheel off and investigate. I doubt it will be good news I'm afraid.

I agree with Hamster, freehub body is the issue. Many Mavic freehubs use a plastic bush which does wear, this may be part of/your problem. There is a very good reason why they use a bush instead of a bearing, but the reason eludes me for the moment. Often spares from Mavic are expensive/unobtainable but fortunately there are after market solutions in many cases, the more upmarket the wheel the more options available - so you should be good :). Google and Ebay are your friends here. Biggest problem will be downtime whilst you obtain and fit the parts.

Thank you for all the help gents. Fortunately downtime is not an issue. These are on my bestest bike that is very rarely used due to me changing everything ALL THE DAMN TIME.

I'll get the wheel off and take a look when i can

If you find out what part you need let me know as I seem to have a couple of spare rear crossmax sl hubs that I bought for spares for my set. They aren't complete but if the bits you need are present you are welcome to them.

that is extremely generous of you chap, thank you very much. I may get some time this weekend to get a look at it.

So..

very little time had been found up to this weekend just gone, and passing from Chinopolis into the man cave on Saturday night, I quickly went at the cassette with a chain whip and cassette tool..

a quick fiddle, and all that was at fault is the silver bit at the end had unscrewed itself, or possibly hadn't been tightened?

2013_crossmax_SLR_Hub.jpg

anyway, I will report back once a proper ride has taken place but it seems very secure for the time being.

thanks for your assistance gents

Back