Deore LX pedals, worth overhauling?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
I removed these pedals from the bike from my father in-law. Quite rusted and the left one with a lot of play. If it didn't say they are Deore LX, I would throw them in the bin, but... Is it worth restoring? If so, do you know of an online guide on how to overhaul them? The axle is hard to reach without removing the cage, but the cage is pinned, not screwed, so unlikely I can remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_8707.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_8708.JPG
    IMG_8708.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 378
Re:

All you can really do is prise the end caps off and take the lock nut off with a socket to get at the bearings. If I wanted to keep a bike original I might consider these pedals worthwhile servicing, other than that, I'm not so sure.

Re:

I have a knackered pair of these but I think my cages are held on with allen screws.

Re:

I've never managed to renew the bearings on these pedals to my satisfaction. I've been thinking about drilling the pins out to remove the cages to get at the bearings which are very small and fiddly. It's a job to do when you're in the right mood and with endless patience :D Other than that they're good pedals and very similar to the XT variety which are a breeze to service. :cool:

Back