deore lx hub m563

Peteroughton169

Retro Guru
hi all, I've got a wheelset for my 97 heckler build, that are pretty much new, built onto 230tib rims, as they are in such good condition, I want to use them, however, the cassette body only takes a 7spd cassette, I've tried an 8spd cassette but the small cog doesn't fit on the freehub body. can I replace the freehub with an 8spd one, or will it be a new hub altogether? tia 20211009_115332.jpg

so after much googling and searching on here, am i right in thinking i can just replace the freehub body with the m565 freehub body Y4CA98050, and re dish the wheel yes?

I thought those hubs were 8 speed, but it looks like the 563 was 7, 565 8sp. You will likely need to redish or another option is to swap spacers about. Iirc I did this on m900 hubs a long time ago.

Yes, you will need to fiddle about a bit with the spacer order or your going to end up too close to the frame on the bottom cog. But you will probably only need a couple of mm to clear it. Try to get it as close as you can or you will alter the chain line too.

I thought those hubs were 8 speed, but it looks like the 563 was 7, 565 8sp. You will likely need to redish or another option is to swap spacers about. Iirc I did this on m900 hubs a long time ago.
It seems that Shimano made some things for a single year only in relatively small numbers, the 563 rear hub being one of them, which at a quick glance it is easily confused with the 565 yet they relate to entirely different gear set ups 😠

it's a pain in the arse, this retro build thing is turning into a pain in the arse, it's a good job I'm not in a hurry! seems to be a lot of blatant profiteering in this game too. which makes it hard to get hold of decent parts. People buying bikes to split and sell rather than use on builds of their own.

I’ve just swapped out a 565 for a 563, so have a complete VGC 32H 565 available if of interest, would be a direct swap using the same spokes.

Back