DBR Vertex WCF vs Kona Explosif

brownplus

Dirt Disciple
after many many many mtb's since 1984
have found my nirvana for SS riding locally (singletrack, slight elevation, tight and bermy)

20" both.... dbr wcf and kona explosif...both 1994 year

the dbr is pretty much "unreal" feeling as you'd think it stiff...it is NOT. The steel bits absorb and flex, the carbon keeps things straight and light. Magnificent frame that does not seem to get it's due (if you like a comfy bike) and all-out smoked the past trek and giant I briefly owned that were similar in bonding but had alum. lugs/bits.
Bottom line...for all day "in the groove" pedaling, this has not been beat. And this includes my 94 breezer jet stream.

the kona is just a big bmx. Perfect for whatever is thrown at it but excels in the hard pumping 2 hour races with lots of berms, jumps etc. Just a fun, perfect geo bike.

With the same forks/wheels/tires/etc...the DBR feels "softer" and is a bit lighter but just weird that carbon/steel is more flexy feeling that all-steel (prestige to boot).

Is it me? Or are there any other WCF owners who think this bike is supple?

Oh yeah, the kona wins as I can really give it a bigger whip in the air.

aND IF ANYONE has a 20" or so gt psyclone for sale...I miss that bike the most! sell it to me!

Attachments

• dbr.jpg
    dbr.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 653
  • explo.jpg
    explo.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 653
Re:

Had a '95 WC Vertex....best bike I've ever ridden, and I've owned nearly a thousand or so. Incredible ride, must have been the first bike to have a hidden motor imho. Want another one, now.

had a WCF and a kilauea. The WCF was lovely,agree that they are a great ride and i've tried many many things from that period. Kept the kilauea when i slimmed down though

pretty sure both those bikes are 96's

actually the kona could be a 94, it was a very similar colour

the DB is a 96 tho

the kona is a 94' as the headtube logo is orange and the 96' was blue, the best indicator will be the tubing sticker but dont seems to be any...
have the same frame in 18' and still a lovely ride, btw never try some vertex...

cheers

That's a '94 Explosif. The '96 is Columbus Max OR with the cross ovalised top and down tubes, which that bike doesn't have. At least some of the Tange Explosifs have an Ultimate/Ultrastrong down tube with a shallow groove machined out of it.

Is that Explosif a respray too? It's missing some decals and the colour doesn't look quite right.

See this one to compare:

file.php

no, all original paint...just that previous owner took some decals off

I believe? from what I have seen is UK and USA got diff. colors in diff. years, but could be wrong.

And I THINK? usa got threadless in '94 when uk got stems....for kona....but could very well be wrong.

Back