Dawes Sterling Approximate Date

oddnumber

Retro Newbie
Hi there, I'm hoping that you more knowledgeable chaps could help me date a bike. It's a Dawes Sterling tourer that has appeared in my local bike shop for sale at a very reasonable price. I like a steel bike any way, and this scratches an itch for a steel tourer. It's 8spd Acera with a triple up front and Acera hubs, and indexed downtube shifters. Could anyone put a rough date on it?

The chap at the shop has said it's a 54 which I think is medium, and I'm 5'9. I'm not overly familiar with sizing older bikes - does this sound about right?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• tempImage9m4FhE.png
    tempImage9m4FhE.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
quick glance at the headtube and the proportions make it seem bigger than 54cm in traditional measurements. Looks 56/57ish. A proper 54 would be a perfect fit, this might be a bit large, but you could still ride it. The saddle wouldnt stick out of the frame much, as is the modern look and the bars would be level with the saddle, so you wouldnt get a sporty fit, but as a tourer, it might work.

if its cheap and you think resale without any loss is possible, it's worth a punt

Thanks very much chaps, I really appreciate it. It's advertised at £199 I think.

I'll go take another look armed with measurements from my gravel bike and fixed gear. This is a better pic, from the listing - it looks more 54 proportions here I think . It does look particularly nice.

Attachments

• 245984797_6254939777910000_6168643669459549741_n.png
    245984797_6254939777910000_6168643669459549741_n.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 30
Thank you - does the potentially earlier date cause an issue with regards to parts availability? Part of the attraction for me was the simplicity - cup and cone hubs, serviceable headset etc.

I thought the price was ok but I'm used to the increase in used bike prices over the last two years, so maybe I'm desensitised! It's also from the local bike shop, so I'm keen to support them whenever I can.

Sorry to say that won't fit you at all🤣🤣🤣 I know I'm 5'10" it will fit me all day long ...... btw where did you find it.... Lucky chap!!

Sorry to say that won't fit you at all🤣🤣🤣 I know I'm 5'10" it will fit me all day long ...... btw where did you find it.... Lucky chap!!

😆 that took me a second to work out! A friend told me about it because he knew I have a thing for steel frames and a hankering for a touring bike. I'll go and have a look tomorrow I think.

Back