Dawes Kirk Revolution help needed

bjellys

Retro Guru
Hi I am going to look at a Kirk revolution and wanted a bit of advice on where they might crack as I know they have problem in that department.
So any help would be appreciated.
I already have a Kirk but that is perfect but I bought it blind not knowing.

Re:

I am led to believe, having read a few threads on here, that the:

BB shell insert detach from the frame

The drop-out / derailleur hanger fails / cracks

cable guides have been known to crack on the top tube

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":3pqj38k9 said:
I am led to believe, having read a few threads on here, that the:

BB shell insert detach from the frame

The drop-out / derailleur hanger fails / cracks

cable guides have been known to crack on the top tube

SP

I've seen the last two (check out my Kirk (link in signature) the shell is a new one on me but Splatter Paint knows his onions so perhaps I've been lucky, they are all shite but iconic so don't expect to be blown away

Re:

Kirk problems are mostly related to a failure of one or more of the resin bonded joints

There are tubular inserts bonded in to the headset area , and also the bottom bracket

The rear dropouts have inserts bonded/screwed in to avoid fretting of the alloy by the axle

The various cable guides are all bonded in

Both the seat 'tube' and down 'tube' have panels bonded in to their rear and lower surfaces respectively ,
in my view this is the area of the bike that has produced the most problems . If the bonded joint at the edge of
either or both of these panels fails , the torsional strength of the 'tubes' will be considerably reduced .
The fault will not be visible without minute examination , and the bike will not ride well !

Any loose inserts are best removed , and the old resin removed with a hot air gun , before re-bonding the
components . The top tube cable guides can be re-constructed with resin if damaged .

The hard to find component is the gear hanger , which is a design unique to the Kirk

I have not heard of a frame cracking as such

Latest posts

Back