Cyclists who kill

The Daily Mail: 🤦‍♂️. According to the front page of The Times, Grant Shapps does not want to introduce number plates for cyclists: 'I'm not attracted to the bureaucracy of registration plates. That would go too far.' But you would never guess that from the front page of the Mail.

Cycling through red lights is already an offence, subject to a Fixed Penalty Notice, or up to £1,000 fine if contested. (Often, there's also the danger of being hit by motor vehicles, which is not a bad deterrent either.) So, 'raising the possibility' of fines for cyclists for 'running red lights' makes little sense, except from the point of view of implying, falsely, that cyclists are currently exempt from the same rules as motorists at red lights.

Reviewing applicable laws might be a good thing but appeasing Daily Mail readers is another matter. (@tintin40 I'm not suggesting that you are a Daily Mail reader, BTW.)

It's a) silly season and b) red meat to the Tory faithful in the leadership elections. Given that electric scooters look set to be made legal by dint of tens of thousands of people ignoring the law and riding one (and mainstream retailers selling them), I think anything that introduces more bureaucracy around cycling is pretty much a non-starter.

The Daily Mail: 🤦‍♂️. According to the front page of The Times, Grant Shapps does not want to introduce number plates for cyclists: 'I'm not attracted to the bureaucracy of registration plates. That would go too far.' But you would never guess that from the front page of the Mail.

Cycling through red lights is already an offence, subject to a Fixed Penalty Notice, or up to £1,000 fine if contested. (Often, there's also the danger of being hit by motor vehicles, which is not a bad deterrent either.) So, 'raising the possibility' of fines for cyclists for 'running red lights' makes little sense, except from the point of view of implying, falsely, that cyclists are currently exempt from the same rules as motorists at red lights.

Reviewing applicable laws might be a good thing but appeasing Daily Mail readers is another matter. (@tintin40 I'm not suggesting that you are a Daily Mail reader, BTW.)
No surprise the mail had it as front page. Others a side line. Alas I'm not a Mail reader or any Newspaper.

Ikr.. the sensationalism! 🤣

Even the Darius headline is tragically laughable..

It's a 'mystery' when most people die, hence the need for post-mortem to determine cause of death?

Well, according to them, Stephen Gately died because he was gay, and being gay, according to them, is more dangerous than being hetrosexual.

Did I say they were cunts?

Alright, moving on :)

Well, the Guardian saw fit to repeat what was in the Mail, and they are placing text in quotation marks, so presumably the articles in the Mail and the Guardian are based on whatever Grant Shapps said.

“Somewhere where cyclists are actually not breaking the law is when they speed, and that cannot be right, so I absolutely propose extending speed limit restrictions to cyclists,” he said. “Particularly where you’ve got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists.

“That obviously does then lead you into the question of ‘well, how are you going to recognise the cyclist, do you need registration plates and insurance and that sort of thing’. So I’m proposing there should be a review of insurance and how you actually track cyclists who do break the laws [via identifiable markings].”

RoadCC also saw fit to create an article on Shapp's interview with the Mail (which I posted in this thread last night).

The Times are also reporting the same

Times-14.jpg

Back