Cyclist and the demise of brotherhood/friendship.

Re:

I think what would annoy me more, would be someone who organises rides for people with old bikes, and not sharing them on this forum.

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":4fy1912l said:
I think what would annoy me more, would be someone who organises rides for people with old bikes, and not sharing them on this forum.

Mike

I find it a disappointment when rides are offered and there's no interest, like this -

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=364677

I apologise but I have now given up posting rides.

J.

Re:

Seems that from asking an innocent question that came from a chat with a few club members, has raised some hackles and some rather belligerent posts.

Having lived with a friend in Catalunya for the first three months of 2018 it was interesting experiencing cycling (I drove drove down with two bicycles) in what could be considered the heartland of Spanish cycling, not only did cyclists wave but motorists acknowledging cyclists was a new experience.

I stopped at the side of the road at one point and a motorist stopped to help.

J.

Generally round me things are pretty chilled - groups of 20 in full carbon will say hi just as much as anyone else.
I got caught in the winter by some serious-looking types while I was out on the Witcomb (1979, 531, mudguards, rather Audaxy). I took a tow for a while until I got sick of all the much being thrown up by their wheels. Not a word.
The next hill another similar bunch came up and were cheery and said that they liked seeing some classic steel out on the road.
Some people are simply less friendly than others. The sportives (and there are a LOT round me) are something else for appalling roadcraft.

Re:

I've just conducted a little experiment.

Out at 7.30am on my newly build 1990's Cougar, I was resplendent in full Rabobank blue / orange kit (the bike is blue and orange).

I saw two lady commuters / leisure riders on Dutch style bikes, very popular in our seaside town, each going the opposite way, too far to shout hello so each given a wave... nothing. Possibly they took a 6ft sweaty man in skin tight lycra waving at them the wrong way and kept staring straight ahead hoping I would soon go away... or more likely they do not associate with the whole 'cyclist' thing, they are just riding their bike.

Next I saw a lady on an MTB who was clearly out for a fast / training ride, a wave got a nod in reply. A few miles on with a different lady, a similar reaction, I even got a smile, she obviously mistook the grimace on my face for something else.

Now, here's the interesting bit. 10 miles on and in the country lanes, a gentleman of more rotund stature riding towards me, carbon Trek, Planet X jersey, happily returned my 'hello'. Two miles on, similar gent, carbon something fighting with his right cleat returned a wave to my 'hello', a mile on fit as a flea racing snake obviously cycling to work (wearing lycra and a back pack), nice looking noname bike almost jumped when I said 'morning', but did manage to return it.... I think I kinda forced him into it.

Last, on the way home and going over a hump backed railway bridge I caught up and overtook another lady leisure rider, my 'Morning' got a full on, 'oh hello, yes, lovely morning' in reply.

I think this whole thing is more about modern life, I saw a while ago the comment that said the internet / social meeja had turned us from a we society to a me society. I know local clubs who will wave and whoop in reply to a wave or a hello, I also know local clubs who look down on everyone. Their loss really, cos I'm just out playing with my toys and having fun.

And for the record I had two punishment passes before 8.00am :facepalm: One on an empty country lane.

Re:

I'm just about to go out on my modern (Bianchi Reparto Corse), a stunning jewel-like day here in the Wolds, making the most of it.

Rk.

I have been going out with a group of roughly 20 people road riding,mainly road bikes and a few hybrid bikes.We pulled up yesterday at a cafe for a coffee and there was a big group of road bikers all kitted up in matching lycra(i choose not to wear lycra for other peoples benefit lol)We said hello ,there was not really much response ,seemed a miserable bunch ,can't help but think they have lost the fun of biking..When I have been out on my own riding and seen the odd person they seem fine ?maybe its a lycra group issue.

Back