Custom Steerer tube

79stef

Retro Guru
Can anybody recommend a metal fabricator who could make a 1 1/8 steering tube to fit a set of Pace RC36 forks. I need a ridiculously long steerer (330mm +)
I presume it just needs a retaining clip at one end?

Also, does anyone know whether the original steerers were aluminium or steel?
Thanks.

You could get both alloy or steel. Pace steerers were straight with a shim used to mount the crown race (or a shim in the crown that had one built in if fitting a smaller diameter steerer to it). Retaining ring groove or just a shoulder on the tube would work.

You could get both alloy or steel. Pace steerers were straight with a shim used to mount the crown race (or a shim in the crown that had one built in if fitting a smaller diameter steerer to it). Retaining ring groove or just a shoulder on the tube would work.
Thank you for your reply ishaw.

Having trawled the Internet a bit I found that Rene Herse do a steerer that may be suitable. I'm just checking whether the UK distributer Sven Cycles may be able to supply one. Fingers crossed!

1" pace steerer here - 320mm long.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
1" pace steerer here - 320mm long.
Thanks dyna-ti, I did see that one, but I need at least 330mm (I haven't done a final accurate measurement but it's probably nearer 335-340mm) and 1 1/8 - yes, the bike is mahoosive!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks dyna-ti, I did see that one, but I need at least 330mm (I haven't done a final accurate measurement but it's probably nearer 335-340mm) and 1 1/8 - yes, the bike is mahoosive!
Is the headtube extraordinarily long or something here :? or are you trying tto make a small frame fit by having more of a stack, in which case isnt such a good idea, as i believe it becomes a bit iffy having too much steerer above the headset. Most manufacturers say 40 or 50mm.
I'm 6'3" and usually need as high as i can get, but even my frames which have always had the maximum length of headtube I never needed anything above 260mm total length

Is the headtube extraordinarily long or something here :? or are you trying tto make a small frame fit by having more of a stack, in which case isnt such a good idea, as i believe it becomes a bit iffy having too much steerer above the headset. Most manufacturers say 40 or 50mm.
I'm 6'3" and usually need as high as i can get, but even my frames which have always had the maximum length of headtube I never needed anything above 260mm total length
The headtube is very long indeed.. the frame size is 25.5 inches, so basically it's a giant Giant! Check the second pic (and yes, I know my headrace needs cleaning!) 😀

Attachments

• 20210527_200501.jpg
    20210527_200501.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210726_144620.jpg
    20210726_144620.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 29
What about some sort of inset headset :? lots of modern headsets these days, could you find something of zero stack ?, could at least open up more options.

What about some sort of inset headset :? lots of modern headsets these days, could you find something of zero stack ?, could at least open up more options.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have just got off the phone to somebody at Sven Cycles in Weymouth and they have found a solution. I'm awaiting email confirmation, but they have a 1 1/8 steerer that is 400mm when uncut. Sorted :)
Thanks again.

Well done.
Kind of a hell of an ask, given biggest ive ever seen was 300mm. That must hark back to the days of giant headtube days. But good on Sven cycles anyway, hope this all goes well for you.

Back