"creaking spokes" is it a thing?

they will creak when you squesh them by hand, but they aren't normally moving about enough to do it when riding and it can point to much more serious issues like rim eyelets being kaput or flanges giving way.
find yourself a candle.
rub it on a cloth till it looks like a wax jacket.
slip it between the spokes to transfer the wax to the spoke interface.
if it still creaks it's something else. :)
is this on the inbred? if yes, take the bolts out the rim brake bosses and luggage mounts and try again.
No, it’s on the explosif. Was all fine until I mentioned in another thread it was as smooth as a babies butt. I’ll try the wax thing.

I've had a similar thing on two occasions with wheelsets that had done a good amount of miles.Where the spokes crossed,they wore a slight groove in each other.That's probably causing the grating as you pull them.If there were new and perfectly smooth they would glide over each other,with less noise.
Mine actually 'pinged' when I put power down/braked hard.Took me a while to figure out.Rear was worse than the front,as you can imagine.
Only solution I can think of is either rubbing some wet n dry between them,could be quite laborious,or stripping the wheel and rearranging the spokes so they cross on the unmarked side.Or new spokes.
Or place something between them?Panini card,Hubba Bubba wrapper?
I went for the re-spoke as the groove was quite significant,hence the 'ping' as it popped out.

Reactions: enc
I recently bought a set of older alloy Mavic Cosmic road wheels that creaked like mad (the back wheel anyway) and it turned out to be where the spoke nipples seat in the rim. To sort it I removed the tyre then a quick squirt of WD40 from the inside of the rim onto each spoke nipple. The WD40 worked its way around the nipple and voila the creaking went away.

Reactions: enc
I recently bought a set of older alloy Mavic Cosmic road wheels that creaked like mad (the back wheel anyway) and it turned out to be where the spoke nipples seat in the rim. To sort it I removed the tyre then a quick squirt of WD40 from the inside of the rim onto each spoke nipple. The WD40 worked its way around the nipple and voila the creaking went away.
worth a try 🙂

A good way to diagnose,thought i do try to avoid getting anything oil-like near my inner tubes.Oil isn't always friendly to rubber.Some degreasers too.Have seen rubber inner tubes perish from that,where it had seeped through past the nipples.Left 32 little round swollen patches in the inside of the tube.
From the video,I'd be very surprised if it's not spoke wear.All jokes aside,If you pop a small piece of card between the spokes n ride you'll soon see.

Also check your rear qr is well lubed. I had similar when under load like riding up a steep hill. Even took the wheel to be tensioned at the LBS. Still the same afterwards. removed qr, lubed the axle, the end caps and the axle and it solved it. Was driving me made for quite a while

last time I was out on the Kona… it didn’t make the noise🤔 I’m beginning to wonder if it was the heat? It was very hot on the day they were creaking but pretty cool on the last ride out on it (no noise)

Or possibly my knackered old spine 🥴

Last edited:
Back