Crazy retro Bianchi full sus road? bikes

Re:

Wonderful photogallery of all the Bianchi bicycles used at Paris-Roubaix throughout history by champions such as Franco Ballerini, Johan Museeuw, Magnus Backstedt, Juan Antonio Flecha and Sep Vanmarcke. Many solutions borrowed from mountain biking, which have given rise to very special roads that are absolutely unique.

During its 130 years of history, Bianchi has always believed in technological development, proposing innovative solutions and absolutely original inventions, some of which have remained unique. This is the case of these vehicles used for the Paris-Roubaix, of which the 113th edition will take place tomorrow. From the Bianchi full suspension bicycle for the Bersaglieri, to the Infinito CV by Sep Vanmarcke. Here are some images and technical details of these authentic technological masterpieces born to tame the pavé.............I don't speak Italian but could probably order 2 beers! I just used a translator.

Just down the page is a tribute to the Girvin Flex Stem.......1993 - Franco Ballerini
The unforgettable "Ballero" raced 13 Roubaix, winning two (1995 and 199:cool: and finishing second by only 8 millimeters behind Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle in 1993, riding this Bianchi, with a TIG welded steel frame and a special suspension stem, produced by the Turin-based company 3T, equipped with an internal piston with coil spring and oil, like the shock absorbers of downhill MTB

Re:

I've posted that Bianchi full-suspension road bike over in my build thread for my Cannondale Silk Road Bike, another take on suspension for the "Cobbled Classics" etc

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hilit=Silk

I believe it was Johann Museeuw who rode that particular Bianchi, but had to change bikes as it broke, if I remember rightly :?

Some interesting stuff in that link though!

I'm fully committed to full suspension MTBs so I'm particularly interested in the world's first full sus.bike
1913 - Bianchi for the Bersaglieri
Although not designed for racing, the first full-suspension bike in the world was made by Bianchi at the beginning of the last century. It was 1913, and this was the bike supplied to the Bersaglieri corps. The frame was equipped with two folding joints, placed on the oblique beam and on the horizontal. Elastomer suspensions. Front wheel equipped with a quick-release sketch.

Re:

Worth a read here (in English):

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro- ... aix-bikes/

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pari ... e-evolved/

“That was my first full suspension design for Bianchi, the one that Museeuw rode to eventual embarrassment at Paris-Roubaix,” said Matt Harvey, product manager for Bianchi USA at the time and now the head of Enduro Bearings.

“I eventually did two designs at Bianchi, but this one was probably the best. [It was] a two-inch short travel design that could be used for cross-country MTB and a road bike. It only had two pivots, relying on the seat stays to flex a couple of degrees, making a much stiffer rear end that didn’t wag around.

“This was also the eventual problem, because a cromoly rear end can flex thousands of cycles this small amount whereas the Italian factory, against my pleading, made it out of 6061 [aluminium] without heat treating it.”

And

Further dooming the project was the aluminium’s comparatively large diameter and the last minute assembly.

“There was a pretty sharp bend to clear the chainrings from the pivot point, about three inches back,” Harvey continued. “The problem was when they assembled it, the Dura-Ace bottom bracket was so narrow that the inner chainring was rubbing on the stay so they put a rag in the vise and squeezed it.”

:facepalm:

Thanks for the links and info
I’m ashamed to say I was- prior to reading the article - unfamiliar with the Paris-Roubaix and now my appetite has been whet.

Back