Coyote XC Ultra lite frame acquired, any info would be great

Hi Barry.

I'm not really sure what this frame is, the lack of replies from others here may mean they're similarly confused.
Outwardly it appears most similar to the earliest frames, usually called the 'Ultralite', HT1 or HT2, these all had round tubes for the rear triangle. The HT3/HT4/HT5 frames had CNC yokes and square tubes.

It is definitely not the first hardtail frame, as they didn't have a replaceable mech hanger (too old) and had a rear cantilever hangar too. See @legrandefromage who had a blue one. They also had riveted cable stops.

Yours is interesting in that it has both 'snakestays' and also rack mounts. I've not seen rack mounts on one before.
Coyote frames were generally made from Easton Aluminium, so either a sticker to show the type of alu used and/or the tube would be stamped, take a close look around the head tube end of the top and down tubes.
The 'XC' sticker on the top tube is also unusual. Most years, the Coyote frames were painted or anodised, except for the very first ones, so a later model in silver is strange to see.
Also not sure about the frame number. It may signify that it is a 1999 frame, which makes sense with the replaceable derailleur hangar and the lack of a cantilever brake bridge, but is concurrent with the later square tubed HT3/4/5 frames. However that number could be a complete red herring as to age.
Finally, the logos look more modern. Assuming this is a genuine Coyote, my best guess is that it is a late model frame that was sold post the HT5 model, so potentially 2002 ish.

It may be useful if you can find out the seatpost size and check what front mech band size is. Also, if you can weigh it accurately, remove the seat clamp and headset cups to get a precise weight.

There are so few similarities I'm with you. I've had a few of the later ones with the CNC yoke so no direct experience with the non CNC ones but I'm leaning towards some stickers put on a generic frame.

Here's what you're looking for to check if they're Easton tubes. This is the stamped mark from my Coyote HT5 frame. Should be easy to spot on yours as it is polished aluminium.
Coyote HT5 01-03-21 g (Small).jpg

This ebay seller appears to have an identical frame to yours and is selling it as a 1990s Coyote:

I've messaged them asking what leads them to believe it is a Coyote, but they've not responded yet.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back