Could you give me some info on a Gitane?

th0m

Dirt Disciple
I've been looking for a new project after spending way too much time and money on restoring an old Colnago. Now I found a Gitane for not much money from a local seller that looks nice, but I don't have much knowledge of the brand and its potential "quirks". Is a French BB to be expected for example? Any other info you can give me?

What I know is that the tubing is Reynolds 531, the rear derailleur is Nouvo Record, front is Huret and crank is a Stronglight.
295316.jpg

Hi, I have a Gitane dating from 1978 and has the same decals, so you're looking at the same era 78-79. Mine takes a French threaded bottom bracket and headset. The steerer tube is also a smaller diameter and takes a 22mm stem rather than the usual 22.2mm.
It looks like a good tidy bike with original paint and a decent mix of quality components...if you think it's a good price go for it.
Just thought I'd mention it looks like it's on tubular tyres as well.

Hi, I have a Gitane dating from 1978 and has the same decals, so you're looking at the same era 78-79. Mine takes a French threaded bottom bracket and headset. The steerer tube is also a smaller diameter and takes a 22mm stem rather than the usual 22.2mm.
It looks like a good tidy bike with original paint and a decent mix of quality components...if you think it's a good price go for it.
Just thought I'd mention it looks like it's on tubular tyres as well.
Thanks! Some great info there. Would perhaps have preferred standards that are more easily available (wasn't even aware of 22 mm stems), but I guess I could see it as a challenge.

Looking at the catalogue spec yours has Campag rear mech, rear hub with what looks like an AVA rim and Record pedals by the looks, Weinnman 605 brakes and probably Atax bars and stem. No braze on to the frame and doesn't look like any mudguard eyes. Mine is the Olympic Record which I bought as a complete bike and the only Campagnolo left on it was the seat post. 20181018_171114.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Some great info there. Would perhaps have preferred standards that are more easily available (wasn't even aware of 22 mm stems), but I guess I could see it as a challenge.
Trying to reassure you here .....I had a motobecane when I was a youth which had all french threads. The bottom bracket was in good order so never had to change it, but the headset was shot and the stem was too short. I wrapped the fork thread with painters masking tape and then threaded on a standard English headset. The replacement stem was just a case of sanding down 0.1mm all the way round and then inserting as normal.
Very bodgy I accept, but it did work

Looks like it has the 70's trend to have absolutely no braze ons :)
was it a trend as such or was it simply the way things were, ie not a conscious decision, but braze on bits weren't generally available (or even considered)?

Back in the 70's there were a number of alleged reasons that frames came without braze ons. Times were hard and it was cheaper to not put them on, they were not put on to give you the chance to put fancy Campag clips everywhere or in the case of Falcon the builders were not trained to do them.

Some firms like Carlton generally kept up the brazed on tradition.

Back