1977 Claud Butler Velox S Frame 003706

BOBU

Retro Guru
I recently bought the above bike on ebay, it looked to be in very respectable condition and turned out better than I even hoped for.
IMG_3366.JPG
The seller had owned the bike from new, purchased from Herly Ray in Newcastle U-T on 22-10-1977, receipt and original CB Brochure were included. The owner told me the bike had been used for work-home commutes for about 2 years and was then rarely ridden. In the early 2000's he had it serviced/upgraded. This was new Rigida 27" wheels and indexed [Alivio rear/Suntour Cyclone2 front] derailleurs. The frame/forks are all Reynolds 531, the bike is almost unblemished in Spanish Gold.
IMG_3367.JPG The bike had not been ridden for more than a decade but had been stored in a garage and kept pristine. There is some deterioration to brightworks which I'll refurbish/replace in due course.
IMG_3369.JPG The bike rides slightly high-geared for the uphill sections here but holds an impressive pace on the downhill return legs, much faster than my Carlton Corsair. At speed it's extremely comfortable and stable in the classic British racer style, I doubt there is much butting on the tubing as it feels/rides heavier than my old Raleigh Record Ace.
IMG_3372.JPG
There is a very notable sweep/curve to the lower front forks which gives the bike it's smooth ride at speed. As all the images show, the bike was clearly cherished by it's original owner and a responsibility I need to maintain, given it's 46+ years of age, as it's custodian...
IMG_3374.JPG
There are some little jobs to do but it's a rare find.
IMG_3373.JPG
Another bit of Retrobike heritage to be preserved..... A nice bike and lucky new owner!
IMG_3368.JPG

Hi Bob, yes, it spoke to me on the listing... resistance was futile. I'll probably switch out the saddle, needs a wash/polish of the frame and a sparkle up on the rims/spokes, a lube/grease and bearings service but the bones are really good. Thank you for your kindness, merry Xmas to all the clan!
You too mate, give me a shout if you need anything.

What a beautiful thing, and great pics too! It’s a rare treat to find an original owner bike in that sort of condition, and I agree - the mantle is now passed to you to enjoy it & keep it looking sweet.
Keep us posted with your progress on this one, it’s looking great already.

It's got a new seatpost and saddle. No pictures yet as weather has been dire. I've been mainly working on parts for the Wester Ross in readiness to build up for spring ride, I would normally be skiing, but no snow here. It's extremely unusual to have had virtually no snow here in February, it's been up to about 14C over the last few days..... rain and cloud.

Back