Cougar- Joey McLoughlin

Looks great and nice colours too. component wise shes a bit of a bitsa with the dura ace rear mech, 105 front mech campagnolo brakes and cranks. The paint looks pretty good from the photos. I would leave it with the patina it has and maybe try and get a full group by one manufacture.
Thats what i would do anyway! Nice find dude, oh and the tubing is columbus if you didn't know. Keep us posted how you get on.

sax_widby":1w8ylwj4 said:
i was wondering if there are companies who can respray (pref powder) the frame and recreate the original decor. It is pretty distinctive and i wouldnt want to lose that.

does anybody know of any companies who would do this, preferably those around sheffield?

Vernon Barker cycles, Dronfield.
Semi retired, only works 2 days /week,but still building, repairing and painting. He has a website

JF wilson cycles, city road
used to build & finish frames. Shop is still there, presume they do

tony butterworth cycles, hillsboro
used to sub out their respray work to Ellis Briggs. Top quality, but not cheap. dont know if the partnership still exists

yeah, i'm hoping to sell off some of the kit and replace it, albeit with lower spec'd components.

i have.... cinelli criterium bars with cinelli stem
105 headset
105 brake levers
high level campag brakes with pads (80%life) (maybe record)
campag record front hub
suntour superbe downtube shifters
shimano 105 front mech
shimano dura-ace rear mech
campag pedals (not sure about range)
campag double chainset and cranks (not sure about range)

the rear wheel has an adapted mtb wheel +cassette, with a grease nipple. It s not worth anything, but it is a brilliant adaptation.

what do you think these are worth? i can help you with any details, but quite frankly, i dont know what else to write.

cheers

Joey McLoughlin - wasn't he the Pocket Rocket? If so, I had the honour of meeting him when I worked for Wheelbase bike shop in the Lake District. He was a sales rep for one of the supply companies. I forget who. That was in 1995, so still a fair way ago...

sax_widby":ufqfq7aw said:
ive just had a look at pictures, and the crankset looks like it is campag super record.
Nah, it's Gran Sport innit. The shape of the "vanity groove" in the front of the crank is different (cast in, broad, and flat-bottomed for Gran Sport; milled out, narrower, and round-bottomed for Record / Super Record) and you can make out the "G.S." stamp above the Campag logo.

The pedals may be Campag Record Superleggeri (with steel axles) or Super Record (with titanium axles).

orange71":suir34b4 said:
Joey McLoughlin - wasn't he the Pocket Rocket? If so, I had the honour of meeting him when I worked for Wheelbase bike shop in the Lake District. He was a sales rep for one of the supply companies. I forget who. That was in 1995, so still a fair way ago...

The 'Pocket Rocket' was Steve Joughin from the Isle of Man. He was National Pro RR Champion in 1988.

do you know this flashed into my head as I was driving home this afternoon for no apparent reason.. I was just going to correct my mistake! :LOL:

Just watched The High Life and Joey Mc is in there. About to sign for Peugeot, as Robert Millar leaves the team. Theyy rode the worlds together. Quite a distinguished also ran

I'm pretty sure Joey used to work for Terry Dolan after he packed up racing.Joey was a top UK rider in his day,4th in the Amstel Gold Dutch classic and renowned for being aggressive with his legs and occasionally with his fists!

Back