Corratec Superbow

Meejoir

Retro Guru
I’ve wanted one of these Superbow’s for ages. I ‘ummed and ahhed’ about buying one of these as far back as 1998. I like anything that’s slightly out of the normal and this top tube is just lovely.

I managed to snaffle this frame on Fleabay for a measly £30, and although it’s a more recent model (2010) I couldn’t resist.

The frame has a few scratches here and there but nothing too bad, other than a missing mech hanger she’s in good nick.

She’s going to be built up on a relatively low budget, mainly with bits I’ve got lying around. I’ve got almost a full XT gruppo from my ‘98 Mount Vision to use and I’ve picked up some Rockshox Recon’s for not a lot. I’ve also had a knackered set of ancient Hope brakes but the rear piston is stuck solid but I’ll have a go at fixing that up. Might need a new number 3 rear caliper but they’re not too expensive.

Hopefully it’s going to be a swift job. He says. Here’s an early mock-up picture...

Attachments

• 9E770929-478F-4A03-9982-C8B746BAE6D8.jpeg
    9E770929-478F-4A03-9982-C8B746BAE6D8.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,369
Nice, yeah I loved those frame BITD as well, especially in the bright colours they used to come in.

Yeah, quite like these frames too, never seen a newer version like this though. Looking forward to more pics :cool:

What size is it btw, and what size is that seatpost, looks fat :shock: :)

Re:

Yes, they used to come in some interesting liveries I seem to recall.

The seatpost is a 31.8 Thomson Elite which I’ve had lying around for years, waiting for the right seat tube diameter to turn up.

My wife is horrified that another bike has turned up in the garage (frames I can hide in the rafters, but once they’ve got wheels on, there’s no hiding place...)

Here's some finished photos of my completed Corratec Superbow. Chain Reaction had a bargain basement price on the chainset and well, it's green, but it turns and changes gear nicely. Had to buy some green bar end plugs to keep my OCD at bay.

Kept the 8 speed rear mech and cassette from my old Mount Vision, even though I've got the bits to put a 10 speed on. I'll probably go back to having a black saddle and stem, just thought I'd try them on.

I've not had a hardtail for many a year so it's taking some getting used to on the old rear end. Total pain in the arse trying to find the correct rear mech hanger though. Even though the mech was listed for this bike it arrived in mirror image of what it should have been. Never mind, quite happy with how she turned out. Another one for the collection...

Attachments

• IMG_5890.JPG
    IMG_5890.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 521
Back