Cook Bros Crank Restoration

midibiker

Klein Fan
Hi,

I purchased a 175mm Cook Bros Crank a couple of weeks ago that needed some work doing to it.

It had a dent on the drive side arm and needed cleaning up.

So I decided to have a go brining it back to life and here it is now.

I might try and fill the dent at a later stage or put a Cook Bros sticker on the arm to cover it.

Attachments

• pol3.jpg
    pol3.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 51
Looks great. You could put decals on it, but I have seen some refurbs where they have used the decal negative and have the logos etched back in. No idea what with, media blast or even a light acid like back in the day on car windscreens etc.

Looks great. You could put decals on it, but I have seen some refurbs where they have used the decal negative and have the logos etched back in. No idea what with, media blast or even a light acid like back in the day on car windscreens etc.

Thanks.

I have another set of silver ones that are etched and you can't really see the writing on them too well.

Plus there is the fact that I don't know how well they come out if I get them etched with a dent in them.

So that's why I was thinking to sticker, or even not to sticker and just leave them plain.

I have a set of these that had stripped off the purple anodizing with oven cleaner

Is it possible to shine up the bare aluminum?

Those look great!!

I have a set of these that had stripped off the purple anodizing with oven cleaner

Those look great!!

I purchased a bike around a month ago and it came with a Grafton/Topline 3DVC crank.

The crank was lovely but the anodizing had faded and some of the arms had gone back to bare metal. So, I decided to strip it in some bleach.

The bleach got rid of everything, and the crank went to a dull finish.

I buffed it up with the kit, but it didn't come out as good as the Cook Bros one.

That could be due to that fact that my materials were not clean enough, and I am going to have another go at it.

Totally, you can bring it up to a mirror finish with just a bit of hand polishing.
Mirror finishes are just the metal with very very small scratches, the smaller the scratching the deeper the mirror.

You can take a plate of rusted steel, grind off the rust and keep grinding with finer and finer grits until its a deep mirror.

I purchased a bike around a month ago and it came with a Grafton/Topline 3DVC crank.

The crank was lovely but the anodizing had faded and some of the arms had gone back to bare metal. So, I decided to strip it in some bleach.

The bleach got rid of everything, and the crank went to a dull finish.

I buffed it up with the kit, but it didn't come out as good as the Cook Bros one.

That could be due to that fact that my materials were not clean enough, and I am going to have another go at it.
It might still be anodised.

Oh, and short dips in caustic soda, followed by cold water dips, and repeat, does a really good job at removing anodizing.

Back