Convert Judy 97 to Air

garyoneill

Retro Guru
I have a pair of 1997 Judy SL forks, the elastomers died many years ago and have kept them going by stacking some type 2 springs in each leg.

I would love to convert them to air, does anyone know if you can transplant the internals from another Rock Shox fork? Can you use the internals from a SID or Psylo fork with 28mm stanchions?

I had thought to do an Air Englund conversion but only have the top section (the air chamber) for each leg, I am missing the lower part (spring and damper).

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the englund dampers on here.

Iirc, they replace the entire stack internals on a Judy as they handle the damping vis the air flow rather than oil. One of the reasons they saved a lot of weight as well as providing the benefits of air.

There should be 3 valving options to adjust the rebound damping, at least that's what my memory is telling me, can't quite remember if one leg does compression, the other rebound.

If this system worked, it does beg the question why forks didn't move in this direction and ditch oil damping. Aside from the faff of the valving as the damping adjustment.

I did also once have a manitou 3 with a spring conversion and an eko sport oil damper which iirc was a small plastic tube containing shock oil with a thin rod that meant no pogo stick with the springs.

If this system worked, it does beg the question why forks didn't move in this direction and ditch oil damping. Aside from the faff of the valving as the damping adjustment.
that's a easy one, because air is harder to keep inside than oil. This means it costs more to make the fork and profit margins are smaller.

from a technical point of view it also means more stiction as the seals have to be tighter.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back