Condor Baracchi Build Thread

Holiocornolio

Devout Dirtbag
So.. here she is, the build begins. I've been (and continue to be) collecting parts to start this build and I'm at the point now where I'm ready to start assembling. The frame is a refurbished Condor Barrachi in Reynolds 653. Colour is 'Mango'. Original plan was to go Dura Ace throughout, as this frame is from the era when groupsets were a thing, but I'm not patient enough to follow that plan and don't have the funds to finance full Dura Ace 7400 in good condition. I was lucky to get a rear derailleur and shifters in good condition, then some hubs in solid mechanical order, but chainset and brakes have eluded me, and I'm keen to get building. so BOM is as follows:
Lugless Condor Barrachi 653
Dura ace hubset
Mavic GP4 rims, sapim d light and race spokes all round (really easy rims to build with BTW - super straight)
Dura ace front a rear mechs & shifters
Shimano 600 chainset 42-52
Dura Ace 7 speed uG cassette 12-21
Dia Compe aero brake levers
Modolo Speedy Calipers
Nitto Noodle bars
Atax quill stem.
Condor Strada straight through seatpost
Still looking for a suitable saddle at a sensible price.
Build starts over easter..
Pics...

PSX_20210314_111844.jpg IMG_20201201_115857.jpg PXL_20210205_095538067.PORTRAIT.jpg

Worthy of note, but my LBS was decent enough to accept a government 'fix my bike voucher' for some repairs / consumables which will help to get this beast back on the road, so that's a win.

Looks like a cracking build. Frame set looks great, nice choice of colours 👍

OK, so not much of a build thread, because I got carried away on Good Friday and forgot to take photos. So naked frame without headset or BB was 1700g. I forget what the fork weighed. I have paid very little attention to weight on the build otherwise and yet without pedals, and fully built up, she weighs in at a shade under 9kg which is, frankly, a big surprise. Took it for a shakedown spin over the weekend, and it's (predictably) a very old skool ride. Quite stiff feeling without being jarring or rigid. It's a long way from being comfortable and my Look 785 easily outdoes it in terms of comfort, stiffness and performance, and yet... it has something about it, and it does feel quick. Gearing is utterly impractical for me and my weedy legs, and at one point i skipped over a pebble and the whole bike took a sideways step...
PXL_20210403_151047740.jpg so here is the 'finished' build.

so, I've been digging about and found a couple of images that I believe to be my frame pre refurb. It left condor a dirty orange colour originally, and from what I can ascertain, was sold by the original owner for not much money, who subsequently stripped it of the Campy super record groupset and moved on the frame. There's a ding in the drive side chainstay which you can just about see. in the frameset pic and in the refurbed pic above.

Screenshot 2021-04-09 163245.png Screenshot 2021-04-09 163412.png

Back