Concorde MAX FB - Updated with build pics 24-05-2010

Re: .

Grannygrinder":3m5arfx4 said:
Really liking that. The frame looks big(headtube length) but short in the toptube?

Not really, it's a 59 seat with 58 top. Pretty standard stuff. The MAX tubing is quite elaboratly shaped though, hence perhaps the relatively tall headtube.

Managed to get the bike together over the weekend. No chance to ride properly yet, however feedback after a quick spin was good. Only real issue is the size, somewhat stretched with my preffered 13 stem on (any less is unprofessional of course). Could probably ride it ok with an 11 but is it just too big?!?

Anyhow the pics. Not great so apologies, didn't help the fact we actually have quite harsh sunlight for once here in the UK..

main.php

main.php

main.php

Note tiny clearance between headset crown race and caliper - actually had to file some material off the washers of the caliper in order for it to fit!

Buld is more or less straight up Dura Ace 7700. Only exceptions are the wheels which are hope ti-glide onto cxp-33. Will do a full spec later. Guess the frame dates to around the mid 90s so the gruppo is a fair match (came out around 97 iirc).

More pics here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=73983

Tidy bike although to my eyes a more traditional quill stem would look better - wasn't ahead around for road bikes in mid 90s though?

Impressed that the tyre and rim logos are nicely matched up and that you've carefully rotated the wheels in the photos so they aren't perfectly matched, a nice touch that inplies a lack of pedantic detail while actually signifying the opposite.

ededwards":268hnpcr said:
Tidy bike although to my eyes a more traditional quill stem would look better - wasn't ahead around for road bikes in mid 90s though?

I'll be fitting a regular cinelli at some point given the grammo is too long. Ahead mid 90s was pretty rare on road bikes. Started to become more common late 90s but even then I recall building bikes with quill stems. Lance even won his first Boucle with a nice quill stem...

ededwards":268hnpcr said:
Impressed that the tyre and rim logos are nicely matched up and that you've carefully rotated the wheels in the photos so they aren't perfectly matched, a nice touch that inplies a lack of pedantic detail while actually signifying the opposite.

:LOL: the 'photoshoot' was somewhat rushed so nicities like logo alignment, composition and exposure were neglected. The main reason for this is pictured on his bike, bottom right, making yet another bid for freedom onto the road...

main.php

Hi John,

Very nice

Mr Edwards doesn't like the stem, but my initial thought was 'good pick!' :) :roll: Profiled as well, period and quite cutting edge. How opinions can differ.

I hope you can make it fit you. Maybe try a stem right in between 11 and 13: 12cm :cool: Than it probably looks as good as it rides. Near perfect ..or maybe even better!

I think that frame would benefit from those early 90s high flange Campag rims (Shamals) ...but that would probably have been best if the rest would have been Campag too.

That looks fantastic, I'd probably put silver rims on if it were mine, but thats splitting hairs...

And I quite like that stem...

I had to do the exact same thing with the brake caliper/headset clearance on my Lee Cooper frame and forks, maybe it's a Columbus Max issue.

s6001184h.jpg

I don't mind the stem either - I'm only changing to a regular cinelli because it's too long and I have various XAs etc around in the loft.

Guess the MAX crown must be quite lo pro. Wonder what brakes fit, did try a set of deltas which had the same issue. Nice Cooper too, off to see the man later this week, bit of a contrast to the fixie stuff he does!

Sorry to dig on old thread up, but you mentioned you were looking forward to comparing the ride of Max vs SLX (and possibly 753). Just wondering how you find the ride? Looks a lovely bike - I have a 60cm Concorde Genius frame that is very sweet if a little soft riding and I could imagine that the same frame in Max would add a bit of stiffness that I think is lacking in the Genius.

Thanks,

Dan

onegaishimasu":25ea8rjj said:
Sorry to dig on old thread up, but you mentioned you were looking forward to comparing the ride of Max vs SLX (and possibly 753). Just wondering how you find the ride? Looks a lovely bike - I have a 60cm Concorde Genius frame that is very sweet if a little soft riding and I could imagine that the same frame in Max would add a bit of stiffness that I think is lacking in the Genius.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

funny you should post this, took the bike out on a good ride last night. As ever it takes a few rides to get 'in tune' with the bike. However now I've put a few miles in and (almost) have the position dialled have to say I'm enjoying the ride of MAX. The groupset was pulled off a TSX tubed Pinarello so direct comparison is fairly easy. Also riding my Corsa Extra a fair bit at the moment. As expected the MAX is a fair bit stiffer than both TSX and SLX whilst still retaining that steel 'feel'. Stiffness wise it doesn't feel miles away from my modern compact ti litespeed.

Never ridden Genius but it is supposed to be a light tubeset. Would think you'd find MAX stiffer for sure. Good luck finding another Concorde MAX :D

John

Back