Compatibility - Mega-9 and old cranks

top pull 32.8 high clamp ???

The thing is i have the complete LX mega 9 ( Except the crank) and this project was an attempt to mop up some spare parts

I’d try the new BB, but a word of caution, sometimes the 9 speed low-band front mechs don’t work well with earlier chain sets. I don’t know why…
I think the issue is that the 9 speed derailleurs have a much deeper inside cage compared to the old 7 and 8 speed models and they don't necessarily play well with the non-microdrive cranks.

. . .
The low stop adjuster is adjusted all the way in so the cage can go no further without manipulation. Then when you try to go to the middle ring it jumps straight to the top.
. . .
Should Janice really marry John if she still yearns for Dave?
. . .
'all the way in'? Isn't it all the way out to allow the mech more freedom of movement? Or is it just the way you've written this that makes it sound like you might have done the opposite of what you need to do? Or a typo? Or the way I'm reading it?

Is John richer than Dave?

My mistake when typing the adjustment is so far the cage can go no further.

John has an SRI on three spokes , but Dave's cousin is on the door at Golden and has met Tall Paul.

Dave didnt find janice attractive, so i married her friend instead.
Pictures are now required.

Not of janice,of the front mech and its alignment.

Last edited:
But will that stop the jumping( granny to big) its like the pull is too big and a mega 9 crank ring to ring gap is bigger ??? ( If that makes sense?)

The chain line will need to be sorted (around 50mm) with a correct BB, and then check your cable routing at the pinch bolt.

Thanks for all the advice. I have had minimal experience of mega 9 and all of it makes me think it doesn't play well with others as shown in some random pictures using the MT60 crank the drive line looked fine. The chainring gap is as close between cranks as possible yet when i just reset the BB with no spacers (113mm) then used the mega 9 crank, all gears available and smooth i just needed to tweak the front mech in the centre as i had a bit of rub in the extreme gears.

I could investigate why the crank didn't want to play but can't be bothered.

20210914_175415.jpg
20210914_175127.jpg 20210914_175142.jpg 20210914_175156.jpg

Also i have put a formal complaint into the moderators if you want photos of Janice please go through the proper channels

Low band mechs always seem to give trouble - for starters they can never get as close to the frame for the inner chainring. They also go loose rapidly. I avoid them like the plague.
Personally I also avoid front indexing. It always seems totally unnecessary to me and causes more problems and rubbing than it solves. I still run a thumbie on the left.

Back