Colour matching paint?

antozzi48

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, long time member, long time absent!

I’ve recently found “the one that got away!” after years of searching and probably (definitely) paid over the odds, but am overjoyed to have a ‘97 Marin Team Marin back in my life. Not an original part on it but I’m working on that.

Biggest issue is she’s got some big scars and dodgy repairs, the colour is imho the best part of this bike so want to keep it as original as possible. Is there a paint scanning type system that you see them use in B&Q but for automotive paint? Cars all seem to have paint codes and that not a lot of help.

60FC59DF-F723-42B8-BDA0-AA3F8379414A.jpeg

Never used it myself, but :

" One of the most important pieces of equipment for accurate and consistent colour matching is the spectrometer, which is used to analyse the paint on the bodywork of the car. The machine is connected to an extensive computer database providing detailed information on a paint match, together with a percentage value indicating how close the match is."

Whip the fork out and take it to an automotive paint supplier.....the guys that supply the trade....they'll either have a spectrometer or they'll have a seasoned old eye who'll um an ahh pull out a few colour swabs and bingo...👍

Some of the manufacturers mixed paints to create original colours, you should hopefully be able to find a close match though which should be fine for touch ups. A lot of people use nail varnish for smaller touch ups, a thought if other paints are not matching up quite to your taste.

I seem to recall a chain called Leyland that would colour match paint and mix it up and pop it in an aerosol for you. Was a while ago so no idea if they still exist.

Back