Colnago Super

I take your point about stressing these frames - built for lightness. For some time I road a Merckx 753 framed bike (should never have sold it) on which I had fixed a rack on the back until someone pointed out to me the tube thicknesses ( it was early days in my cycling evolution). Fortunately I got away with it.
You have some nice Colnagos. I have disposed of: C50 Anniversary. International . C94. MXL. Mexico.
Apart from the International all handled superbly. Took the MXL up Alpe D'Huez for my 60th birthday - nearly killed me - great bike, shame about the rider.

colnagophiliac said:
I take your point about stressing these frames - built for lightness. For some time I road a Merckx 753 framed bike (should never have sold it) on which I had fixed a rack on the back until someone pointed out to me the tube thicknesses ( it was early days in my cycling evolution). Fortunately I got away with it.
You have some nice Colnagos. I have disposed of: C50 Anniversary. International . C94. MXL. Mexico.
Apart from the International all handled superbly. Took the MXL up Alpe D'Huez for my 60th birthday - nearly killed me - great bike, shame about the rider.

No shame there, a bike does not go uphill on its own! I wish I could "nearly kill myself" on a continental mountain. I had trouble climbing a 2000 ft 'hill' in my backyard, used my flatlander trainer; not geared for that type of ascent. I am only 56 so you are doing better than myself on hills.

I have never ridden an international; were they an 'SL' tubed frame? Not as stiff as a Super?

Not sure what the tubing is/was for the International but it felt like lead - completely lifeless. It's an insult to say any Italian racing bike is like that but.............a Colnago!!
I attach some pics of the International, the C94 and the Mexico. All gone now. Makes me wish I'd hung on to them but I really haven't got the room.
The C94 was almost the base model - Zona tubing if I remember correctly - but it rode brilliantly - sharp and lively, just how you would want it to be.
Just found/added pics of C50 and MXL.

Attachments

• coln3.PNG
    coln3.PNG
    363.4 KB · Views: 254
  • coln4.PNG
    coln4.PNG
    300.3 KB · Views: 254
  • coln5.PNG
    coln5.PNG
    286.9 KB · Views: 254
  • coln6.PNG
    coln6.PNG
    457.4 KB · Views: 252
  • coln7.PNG
    coln7.PNG
    355.6 KB · Views: 253
colnagophiliac said:
Not sure what the tubing is/was for the International but it felt like lead - completely lifeless. It's an insult to say any Italian racing bike is like that but.............a Colnago!!

Thanks for the photos! Nice rides.

I have never ridden a steel Colnago (or any steel bike) with the Precisa or straight fork. I am very curious to try one; I do not think that my Asso (alloy frame, steel steerer/carbon fork) would be a proper comparison given the geometry and materials difference. I do like the Asso though and for an alloy frame it does not seem to affect me regarding comfort, and handling is quite good.

Here's an 'old' photo (a year ago, changes made) of my '86 Nuovo Mexico I finished as initial build. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=413277&hilit=nuovo+mexico+1986

[attachment=0]COLNAGO NUOVO MEXICO 1986.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• COLNAGO NUOVO MEXICO 1986.jpg
    COLNAGO NUOVO MEXICO 1986.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
Just unearthed my (small) cache of Colnago catalogues. Yes, the International frameset was Columbus SL - which for this model only contained predominantly lead. ( I've added that bit)
I doubt you would notice any difference with a straight fork in terms of handling. I vaguely felt that they were more direct in terms of "feedback" which you may or may not consider desirable. I much prefer the looks of a curved fork, also the flat fork crowns to go with them, but then I prefer to collect the older steel Colnagos - the less braze-ons etc the better.
Just some observations HPL - your Nuovo Mexico has chrome lugs, mine doesn't. Mine has a chrome fork, yours doesn't. Differences with pantographs and accessories. Yours does have pedals though ! There is no such thing as a "standard" Colnago!

Here’s my International, definitely SL and the frame still pings when you unclip. Still used in time trials this year, nothing better than passing your minute man and reaching down to hook the next gear 😊

Attachments

• 0CD59CFD-46A5-4C24-B081-2BB8FDFF5CAA.jpeg
    0CD59CFD-46A5-4C24-B081-2BB8FDFF5CAA.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 15
@Tamar Imaging nice bike! What it the rear derailleur you have on it? Sun Tour? By the way, nice photo; makes it look like it was in motion with the reflection behind it.

Back