Code of the road.

code of the road

"no you don't get to use my extra tube!
The Ctc used to have a rule for what you should bring with you on a ride - spare tube and repair kit, £5, mudguards if it was wet. The rules could be enforced.

You could probably argue about suitable clothing.
I'm sure a few did. 🤣

Etiquette when riding. Here in Ireland it's generally accepted that meeting a rider going the other way we acknowledge them. It's just the way of things. On country roads anyway, what you in the UK call lanes.

A spoken greeting if speed and road width allow, or maybe just a nod of the head, or raising a hand from the bars with a slight wave, but an acknowledgement of some kind nonetheless.

Obviously the middle aged Rapha and carbon gang are ignorant of this custom, but I acknowledge them anyway.

How is it in other countries?
It varies here.

I always stop if I see a rider or small group with a mechanical because from experience I know that a fair number of people have no idea which end of a spanner to use. Once I came across a lad scratching his head over a couple of mudguard stays that had detached - a few seconds work with a hex key and I'd fixed them back to the dropout with one of the bolts from his second bottle cage fittings. That's not to mention the times I've offered the use of my full-size pump to somebody struggling with one of those stupid mini things.

I always stop if I see a rider or small group with a mechanical because from experience I know that a fair number of people have no idea which end of a spanner to use. Once I came across a lad scratching his head over a couple of mudguard stays that had detached - a few seconds work with a hex key and I'd fixed them back to the dropout with one of the bolts from his second bottle cage fittings. That's not to mention the times I've offered the use of my full-size pump to somebody struggling with one of those stupid mini things.
Me too, I remember on the way back from a ride seeing a paperboy stood with a chainset in one hand and his bike in the other. Luckily he hadn’t ridden on from where the bolt fell out! Soon had him on his way again.

Today I rode a 20 plus mile ride for the first time in over 30 years. I was on a recent purchase that I am very pleased with, a 1992 ish Carrera Corsa Record. I was wearing a loose fitting cycling jersey, mitts, mesh shorts over padded base layer with some very comfy cycle specific shoes on unclipped non cleated pedals, so I didn’t look the part nor did I intend to. I noticed the only acknowledgment I received was from a few less seasoned cyclists like myself which were probably around my fitness level or just above it, and on lower end machines. The few solo riders I saw, along with a few groups from time to time that were riding serious machines, looking very much the part didn’t even notice me let alone acknowledge me, even though on most occasions they were coasting down a hill as I was fighting my way up the hill. I raised my hand to all but needn’t have bothered 🤣

So I guess this echoes what a few people have already said. Don’t be so far up your own orifice gents, raise your hand, nod, any form of communication is ok, it won’t kill you🤣

Here’s the bike (yes I’m changing the tyres soon), don’t be shy, say hello.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 18
Today I rode a 20 plus mile ride for the first time in over 30 years. I was on a recent purchase that I am very pleased with, a 1992 ish Carrera Corsa Record. I was wearing a loose fitting cycling jersey, mitts, mesh shorts over padded base layer with some very comfy cycle specific shoes on unclipped non cleated pedals, so I didn’t look the part nor did I intend to. I noticed the only acknowledgment I received was from a few less seasoned cyclists like myself which were probably around my fitness level or just above it, and on lower end machines. The few solo riders I saw, along with a few groups from time to time that were riding serious machines, looking very much the part didn’t even notice me let alone acknowledge me, even though on most occasions they were coasting down a hill as I was fighting my way up the hill. I raised my hand to all but needn’t have bothered 🤣

So I guess this echoes what a few people have already said. Don’t be so far up your own orifice gents, raise your hand, nod, any form of communication is ok, it won’t kill you🤣

Here’s the bike (yes I’m changing the tyres soon), don’t be shy, say hello.
I like your bike, I like Carrera.

Thanks Bob 👍🏼 I think I remember seeing a limited edition TDF you picked up in mint condition. Very tasty!
This one rides really well. It was a very enjoyable ride, even more so because I’m not saddle sore and can still walk 🤣

Back