CODA 701M Crankset any good?

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
I have an opportunity to buy and 96'-97' Cannondale with the CODA 701M crankset on it, the full bike is not a bad price. I'm tempted to keep the crank and flip the bike with a more standard crank as way to try it out. I like the way it looks but I guess the looks can be polarizing. Assume it's pretty light. The big thing is I can't see much opinion on-line if it is any good because I would intend to ride it if it finds a home on one of my bikes. I've seen they can make creaking sounds, I've read the bolts between the drive side arm and chainring cluster should be lock tighted which makes sense. Anyone who has ridden one's feedback would be helpful, Thanks!!

Here's a pick to refresh the memory, it's definitely a work of art (IMO), not the one I might buy
s-l1600.jpg

It’s one of those “nice to have, nice to look at” things. Back in the day they were pretty crap to be honest, we had many customers changing them for other options that were available at the time.

That being said, l’d have a set if the condition and price was good. I wouldn’t ride them, it would purely be display only.

It’s one of those “nice to have, nice to look at” things. Back in the day they were pretty crap to be honest, we had many customers changing them for other options that were available at the time.

That being said, l’d have a set if the condition and price was good. I wouldn’t ride them, it would purely be display only.
Presumably the issue being that you can't change rings, and once any of them are worn, you need to change the lot?

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought. Think I'll pull the trigger and pick the complete bike up. I'll at least try them out on a couple rides and go from there. One advantage with my bikes of this type is I have five 90s MTBs which all get ridden, not lot's of miles going on any of them. This crank may be right for my Cannondale M800 or my sons Cannondale M400 we heavily upgraded. I have a few options.

Thought I would follow up. The bike purchase in question turned out be from non other than @Retro_Roy (thanks Roy!). Not sure what I'm doing with the 96' M1000 Cannondale I bought from Roy yet but CODA crank is staying in my family at least, put it on my son's 95' M400 which has been heavily upgraded. I took the drive side arm off, added a later of grease to the mating surfaces (none in the threaded holes) and blue lock tight to all four cleaned bolts to hopefully avoid it coming loose or creaking (as I have heard can happen), it's didn't suit any of my builds as well but on my son's I think it looks the part! 20210509_191.2_iOS.jpg

Back