Clingles Du ventoux

cab3086

Devout Dirtbag
Hello al,

Has anyone completed Clingles Du Ventoux on a retro bike? I would be interested to hear about gearing and admin of the trip as I am looking at doing this in 2017.
I am wondering if anyone else has the same idea or maybe even get a group together for a retro ride Ventoux....

Re:

Fancied this for a long time, but suspect it would probably kill me now! :LOL: Should have done it when I was 15.

Re:

I am sure we wish we were younger, its only a number lol... Clingles allows 24hrs to complete, even "wiser" riders should be able to complete with some effort..

Re:

Would be tough but doable ...

I'd think a minimum of 42x26.

Re:

Did the 3 climbs in 1 day about 10 years ago. Not on a retrobike, although I still ride the same bike today. I used 34x28, which worked well enough. Today I might have tried to use an mtb cassette with a 32 or 34 (if I wasn't riding campagnolo).
My philosophy has always been to have sufficiently light gearing. Everyone has had at least one ride where they felt they needed a lighter gear. I never hear people complain they wished they had heavier gears.

As for the order in which you ride the climbs, I would save Sault for last.

Good luck.

Re:

Agreed; If I was on my modern bike I'd have a 34x30.

My retro bike is 42x26 which is fine for Eroica but for that task the smaller gear you can find the better.

Re:

I have indeed ridden the cingles on a Raleigh Dynatech, hardest ever day on the bike for me!

I purchased a TA conversion inner ring, it let me run 53/39/30 as a triple with a 115mm bb.
Mechs were Campags Racing T front and rear, my low gear was a 26 tooth on the rear, which gave me a gear equivalent to 34/29 on a modern compact, about 30 inch.

If I ever try it again, I am prepared!
I will go 53/39 for C Record chainset, New Rally rear mech and 7 speed freewheel, 13/34 - that gives me a 30 inch gear, but it will still be tough!

As for riding order, Bedoin first, that's the classic climb. Properly hydrated, and having eaten until you hurt the night before. Descend to Malaucene, eat and drink until you need to pee, I had terrible cramp it was so hot, I was begging water from Dutch knickers!
Descend to Sault, but stop to eat a whole lasagne at Chalet Reynard.
're hydrate in Sault, and then take the easiest of the three, until Chalet Reynard that is, to finish your day.

If the weather is nice it will be fantastic, if it's wet then have a second set of brake pads as you'll get through them!

On the descent don't touch the brakes between corners, brake fade otherwise which is teaching grandma to suck eggs, but don't be tempted to feather them on the straights!

Richie

That should be Dutch picnickers!

Buy the pictures too, they are great.

Look for Richard Batty on Facebook, my profile picture is from my day there.

Ride on tubs for extra excitement!

Richie

Guys, thanks for the replies so far, my Raleigh Dynatech has standard cranks fitted but I have a 10sp 105 mech and shifters fitted combined with a 30t cassette that gives me an equivalent to a compact 34 with a 26t.
I could fit a compact crankset and it would give some really low gears, just another option.
Now watching TDF Ventoux stage, shame the mistral is blowing and stopping a summit finish.

Back