Cleaning Skinwall tyres

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Any advice what to use to clean skinwall tyres that are more now a orange/brown colour ?

Tried scrubbing with muc off and does nothing.

Re:

I use clothes washing liquid mixed in a bucket of lukewarm water, then scrub with something strong enough to shift dirt without being so strong it damages the tyres. If it's really bad, chuck a bit of Vanish in the bucket too. My thinking is that if this stuff can get grass stains and Ribena out of jeans, it's going to do likewise on tyres. Results have been good enough for me but I'm not perfectionist about it: they're only going to get dirty again. :?

Re:

My method is to ride them until they look grim, or start to hernia inner tube, then put them in the shed whilst googling “skin/amber” tyres and weighing up the balance between postage from Germany vs buying tyres with massive logos on the side.

Then, and this is the important bit, drink one or two martinis before persuading yourself that a pair of black Schwalbe-Kevlar-addix-Continental-speed-kings is prolly a better bet because smoke darts were always sketchy anyway......

Saves on fairy liquid and dishwasher wear and tear.

:D

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":1100e8dc said:
My method is to ride them until they look grim, or start to hernia inner tube, then put them in the shed whilst googling “skin/amber” tyres and weighing up the balance between postage from Germany vs buying tyres with massive logos on the side.

Then, and this is the important bit, drink one or two martinis before persuading yourself that a pair of black Schwalbe-Kevlar-addix-Continental-speed-kings is prolly a better bet because smoke darts were always sketchy anyway......

Saves on fairy liquid and dishwasher wear and tear.

:D

hehe... this exactly.

Re:

They’ve had two years of near constant use and all winter as it’s my winter bike. It just looks crap but still tread left so don’t really fancy buying new ones yet

It's the aluminium from the braking surface of the rim. And a good reason to buy black wall tyres on a bike that gets ridden in all weathers...

I go for car shampoo, a washing up brush, and as much elbow grease as I can muster. They never look like new again though.

Re:

Toothbrush ( not your current one obviously ) and washing up liquid and vigorous scrubbing in small sections and rinse then repeat about 3 times , it`s important to rinse lots so you dont rub the dirt back in which may seem obvious . Then i use power action bathroom wipes ( not the ones for your arse lol ) from home bargains for 50p for a pack of 50......my mate Barry Scott taught me all I know about cleaning ... I fear Cillit may well melt your tyres though :-(

Attachments

• cillit+bang.jpg
    cillit+bang.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 366
Captain Stupido":2sik1bsp said:
It's the aluminium from the braking surface of the rim. And a good reason to buy black wall tyres on a bike that gets ridden in all weathers...

I go for car shampoo, a washing up brush, and as much elbow grease as I can muster. They never look like new again though.

It has discs

Vanish didn’t do anything.

Latest posts

Back