1955 Claud Butler 23” Valiant T59
***SOLD***

1989 Concorde 22" Astore
***SOLD***

1977 Claud Butler 21" Cavalier frame set inc headset
***SOLD***

1981 Claud Butler 22” Classic ultra-light TT frame set. #037794
***SOLD***

1968 Holdsworth 23” Mistral in 531 butted throughout..
***SOLD***

1980 Claud Butler 23” Italia in 531 butted frame...
***SOLD***

1939 Claud Butler 22" D.S.H. Championship Path “Stars & Stripes” #931600E
***SOLD***

1955 Claud Butler 23" Tour of Britain or maybe Competitor
***SOLD***

Attachments

• IMG_8704.jpg
    IMG_8704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 760
Re: 531 butted Holdsworth/Claud Butler frames

3 more frames added.... :|

I thought the Classic was made from 531SL, do you have a photo of the BB.

spitball":347a8wvu said:

Evening Spitball, the Classic could be ordered as 531 butted, 531SL, Speedstreem & 753 but I think the SL was possibly the most popular choice as it was something a little different to shout about without breaking the bank....

Calling this frame a Classic is possibly not correct as the original customer (we think) has ordered a classic but with CB graphics..

“The Royal We” are myself, CBguy & of course dwscrimshaw (the current contributors and admin of the NKilgarif Holdsworth/Claud Butler site) ;)

Is there anything specific you are looking for in/on the BB? Happy to take some more shots if you like...

Attachments

• TradePrices1April1982.jpg
    TradePrices1April1982.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    231 KB · Views: 1,036
Re:

Apologies, stupid questions to follow about mistral and Italia:

Is the BB standard BSA English thread?

Is retro frame sizing different from modern? I ride a 60cm frame road, 58 cx so not sure if 23" translates into a comparable frame? Old school stems are a lot shorter, aren't they?

From description I understand that the mistral has a lot more tyre clearance/slacker geometry, say can fit 32mm road or cx tyres plus mudguards on 700c wheels? Does Italia have the same clearance?

Any issues fitting modern components onto this frame?

Thank you.

Re: Re:

M_Chavez":1v3qioro said:
Apologies, stupid questions to follow about mistral and Italia:

Is the BB standard BSA English thread?

Is retro frame sizing different from modern? I ride a 60cm frame road, 58 cx so not sure if 23" translates into a comparable frame? Old school stems are a lot shorter, aren't they?

From description I understand that the mistral has a lot more tyre clearance/slacker geometry, say can fit 32mm road or cx tyres plus mudguards on 700c wheels? Does Italia have the same clearance?

Any issues fitting modern components onto this frame?

Thank you.

Ok, so BSA English for all these, & yes a modern BB would fit.

23” is more like 58.5cm, as for sizing compared to a modern, sorry I’m not sure, I guess a modern frame has a lot more post showing?

These types of frames generally make good winter/touring bikes as the spacing can be quite roomy, both of these will take larger 27” x 1-1/4” tyres, so 700c with guards should be no problem, even with 38mm CX tyres, but I haven’t tried this combo.

The only issue I’ve ever had is with the mounting of brakes and their reach... super tight/short racing brakes won’t reach 700c rims, but... there are plenty of current production good brakes readily available that will. Plenty of RetroMod people on here can steer you in the right direction.

Peachy!":3u8epcjn said:
spitball":3u8epcjn said:

Evening Spitball, the Classic could be ordered as 531 butted, 531SL, Speedstreem & 753 but I think the SL was possibly the most popular choice as it was something a little different to shout about without breaking the bank....

Calling this frame a Classic is possibly not correct as the original customer (we think) has ordered a classic but with CB graphics..

“The Royal We” are myself, CBguy & of course dwscrimshaw (the current contributors and admin of the NKilgarif Holdsworth/Claud Butler site) ;)

Is there anything specific you are looking for in/on the BB? Happy to take some more shots if you like...

Thanks Mr Peach, I learn something new each day, as for the BB i was interested to know if it had any drillings/slots cut out of it.

spitball":2mpqmqql said:
Peachy!":2mpqmqql said:
spitball":2mpqmqql said:

Thanks Mr Peach, I learn something new each day, as for the BB i was interested to know if it had any drillings/slots cut out of it.

No nothing underneath, no slots, oiler holes etc. Rear mech guide tunnel is on top.

Peachy!":14a9dbu5 said:

No nothing underneath, no slots, oiler holes etc. Rear mech guide tunnel is on top.

OOOH! curiouser and curiouser.

Back