Claud Butler Cordon Bleu - Cyclocross

Kman

Dirt Disciple
Another new thread from me, for another one of my projects.

This is thought to be a Claud Butler Cordon Bleu from 1959. The matching number on the frame and fork would fit for the period along with the details for the frame. Number is 3881. Following the frame number table for Holdsworth at this time it is reasonable to determine that this is an early Holdsworth Claud Butler.

At some point, it has been retro fitted with the braze on's for Mafac Cantilevers and the guides for cables. It also received a re-paint too.

What I'm trying to determine, is what colours would be in keeping? The Claud Butler catalogue for the year states how the colours, but I can't determine if there is an actual colour pallet to choose from. Any advice on this would be appreciate.

My plan is to build it up as close to original, all be it that the cyclocross modifications would of been made.

As on my other threads, plenty of projects, so will update when progress is made.

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,271
:D Any colour you like! Although if you really want a steer, have a look at Bob Jackson’s website, they have their full pallet of proper enamels and flamboyant paint. If you choose from there you’re in the right ball park of available colours from the sixties.

Just please don’t paint it one of those god awful drab red/browns that some people think old bikes should be painted.... Claud would spin in his grave!

That is a great looking frame, lovely lugs, seat stay caps etc, you can just imagine the potential it has with a bit of tlc given.
I mean it's a given it will ride lovely but such nice details and a well worn, non original finish mean it's a perfect blank canvas.
I agree with Peachy that Bob Jacksons flamboyant palette is a great starting point and also agree that this doesn't deserve some subtle drab colour, my opinion is this one should be bright and glossy :) Certainly the yellow in a rich flamboyant with red/maroon similar but not the same as it is now might be nice. The options are endless :)
Look forward to seeing it progress.

Jamie

Re:

'Subtle' and 'drab' are two different things to me Jamie.
Although tbh in today's over-stimulatory environment I would welcome more of either.. :)

Re: Re:

torqueless":2jyrhnjx said:
'Subtle' and 'drab' are two different things to me Jamie.
Although tbh in today's over-stimulatory environment I would welcome more of either.. :)

Of course, I agree wholeheartedly and sometimes being subtle is what is best. I don't think I used the best words for what I was meaning and should most likely just used the word drab. Sometimes though I have seen frames painted in very subtle schemes, what I was thinking here was the dark browns, deep burgundy type colours, that on paper and even test papers look good but when viewed in real life are a bit drab and underwhelming.
Though this is a personal opinion, and obviously not for all frames painted in these colours. I just thought this beauty of a frame needed some bright colour, though that is probably influenced by the fact it is canary yellow now :LOL: I think the colours on it suite but maybe move the burgundy around a bit with some white and maybe chrome if possible.

Jamie

Re:

Yeah luckily for us, (or me anyway) a steel bike frame is a fairly insignificant canvas in the grand scheme of things... I don't like brown paint either, but I do particularly dislike two masses of primary colour- red blue or yellow- used together exclusively.. :xmas-wink: No offence to Kman, but this frame fairly sets my teeth on edge.. :)

No offence taken. I was the same when I used to race it in the 90’s. Always played second fiddle to my long lost Alan that I had.

I am torn though, either something similar to how it is presented at the moment or perhaps something that looks like it used the wear. There are hints of duck egg blue and gold. I also like the idea of picking out the lugs, not just lining them, but a contrasting colour.

I found my self looking at the kids toy cars. Certainly some flamboyant colours from Hot Wheels, and the small shape gives a good impression of what the frame could look like. Could be a bit embarrassing going to match the paint though!!

Could always go and get it carbon wrapped, suit the bland modern machines I have, but would go down well with the purists!!

Still, something to ponder, while I work on some of the other projects.

Re:

Thank you History Man!

The thought had occurred!! Although on present performance it would end up covered in dinosaurs. The assistants current favourite!

Maybe a Jurassic Park theme?

Re:

I also like the idea of picking out the lugs, not just lining them, but a contrasting colour.
Imo that is something that really does need subtlety. It's all too tempting to aim for maximum contrast, which ends up turning the lugs into caricatures. And there is usually a problematic area where the seat stays are joined to the seat lug, which tempts you to leave the seat lug (maybe picking out detail in the top eyes,) and just do the head lugs, which makes the seat lug look wrong....

What can be really effective for picking out the lugs is a very close tint or shade of the same colour used on the tubes. But that would be an example of paying out a lot of money for the time and skill needed to produce an effect so subtle that it is barely noticeable.. (except maybe to pompous aesthetes like Torqueless) and if in addition you also start adding panels to the tubes or lug lining the whole thing starts to look too busy.. like you tried too hard. It's only a bike frame after all.. :? :)

Just my opinion..

Back