Claud Butler Classique

parapete

Retro Newbie
Hi to all - just found this site and would like to join in as I have two bikes I would like to renovate and need as much info as possible. The first is one bought for me when I was in my teens (75 now). It is a Claud Butler Classique with the number 1136 stamped on the bottom of the frame. It has been resprayed from its original silver finish to a green used on the Triumph TR7 (relative in the paint shop).
The original Campagnolo Gran Sport was replaced by Shimano 600EX gear. I have enquired about tubs for the Milremo wheels but apparently they are no longer available. The saddle is original Brookes. Shimano side pull brakes were also fitted replacing the original Universal 61 centre pull units.
Any ideas on how to start bringing it back to its original state would be appreciated including sourcing decals, brake handle rubbers, etc.

regards

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sure we can help you along. The Classique first appeared in the 1962 catalogue, but your number suggests 1959 which is interesting. @dwscrimshaw might be along to talk about that (he’s the keeper of the Holdsworth numbers)
I can help with pointing you towards the correct decals. The most cost effective is to buy thin vinyl reproductions from Hlloyd cycles or you can get them made as water slide transfers which are a little closer to the original lacquer applied versions but more expensive.

006A1165-51C9-4A2D-A689-0177EEB3B9A9.jpeg

Hi to all - just found this site and would like to join in as I have two bikes I would like to renovate and need as much info as possible. The first is one bought for me when I was in my teens (75 now). It is a Claud Butler Classique with the number 1136 stamped on the bottom of the frame. It has been resprayed from its original silver finish to a green used on the Triumph TR7 (relative in the paint shop).
The original Campagnolo Gran Sport was replaced by Shimano 600EX gear. I have enquired about tubs for the Milremo wheels but apparently they are no longer available. The saddle is original Brookes. Shimano side pull brakes were also fitted replacing the original Universal 61 centre pull units.
Any ideas on how to start bringing it back to its original state would be appreciated including sourcing decals, brake handle rubbers, etc.

regards
Really looking forward to seeing this coming along. Especially since one of the bikes dates back to your teens.. great stuff.. 👍

Ok so here is a link to Hlloyds we’re you can get almost everything you need;

Available are the correct seat tube crest, down tube large signature would have still been available, although mid sixties did see the block text appear. Little scripts on the forks and a 531 plain gauge at the top of the seat tube.
Unfortunately although Steve does a number of top tube name decals in the style of yours he doesn’t actually have a Classique. If you peruse his web pages and can find the style you think it is I’ll make up some artwork so Steve can add it to his catalogue.
7D2EBEC7-F242-4AC1-99B6-71A8B400782C.jpeg 63E24A75-26CE-4BCE-988D-8A6603195E7A.jpeg 35F5DCE1-79DE-49CC-8D53-D8AED34895A0.jpeg 52AFA9DF-F1F5-4076-8078-E96C667170BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sure we can help you along. The Classique first appeared in the 1962 catalogue, but your number suggests 1959 which is interesting. @dwscrimshaw might be along to talk about that (he’s the keeper of the Holdsworth numbers)
I can help with pointing you towards the correct decals. The most cost effective is to buy thin vinyl reproductions from Hlloyd cycles or you can get them made as water slide transfers which are a little closer to the original lacquer applied versions but more expensive.

View attachment 604171
Hello Peachy! and all - have cleaned up the frame and had a second look at the number on the BB. It is 1135 not 1136 and I have attached a photo for your reference. The info concerning the decals, etc. will be of interest once I decide whether to have the frame stripped and resprayed the original silver or not. I have delivered the wheels to a local repairer and left it to them to come up with alternative rims and tyres for road use. The other bike is one built by a Coventry bike shop called Tom Bromich which has the name "Davis Components" and the numbers 60, 62 and a frame number of 4919. It is still in its original state and the wheels are currently being sorted for tyres.
Hope the pictures will be of interest - regards Peter DSCF4890.JPG DSCF4886.JPG

Parpete,

Your frame serial number 1135 does not appear to fit in usual Holdsworthy Claud Butler serial system started in1959 as it would predict to1959 when we know the Classique did not appear in catalogue until 1962 .

I suspect what is going on here is that this frame is stamped as some other Classiques we've seen - apparently using the short lived 1962-1965 Holdsworth model 4Digit system and not the new system used by the vast majority of other Holdsworthy Claud's from takeover in 1959 until 1976. The theory is that these Classique models were built in the Holdsworth factory or perhaps Putney shop. Presuming your #1135 fits in this 4d system, it would predict to 1962.

See my post #78 in thread where I recently discussed this same topic: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/claud-butler-holdsworth-frame-numbers-1959-1976.396384/page-8

For this to be likely and your frame #1135 to be a 1962 it should have an oiler (grease nipple) on top of BB at non drive side. Not sure what that small hole is on bottom of your BB, towards DT. Drainage? Looks too small for a grease nipple. Does it have rear brake cable guide loops and stops placed at top surface of TT as FalconSS' c.1962 Classique depicted in thread I link to? Other pics of your frame would also be helpful.

I'll nudge dwscrimshaw.

Doug

1959-1976 Holdsworthy Claud Butler Prediction I drew up several years ago and as on page 1 of linked thread:
48787364996_9a6d066736_c.jpg
Holdsworth prediction by DW Scrimshaw that contains Holdsworth 60's 4 digit system:
fullsizeoutput_172e.jpeg

Last edited:
Back