Claud Butler 1960s derailleurs.

Tabbyiab

Retro Newbie
Help from your knowledge requested:
I bought this 'barn find' CB last week. The owner thought it was 1961 but we seem to have established on another thread that it's most likely 1963.
You'll notice that it has no derailleur. I asked the vendor about this and he dug out the pictured Huret derailleur and states that this is what was originally on the bike. However, the shift lever is Campagnolo.
Would they have mixed the hardware? Also the Huret looks more recent to me.
If it was originally a Campagnolo, I'd rather replace like for like, so what would have been on here originally please?
Many thanks, Ian
IMG_20220503_152626_HDR.jpg IMG_20220503_152821_HDR.jpg received_730976621587970.jpeg

Probably sold as frame only.
With purchase tax on complete bikes but not on components it was possible to build a better spec for less, and vary as required.
These were a good value well made by Holdsworthy frame, about 2/3 the price of a butted 531 lightweight. Holdsworthy used Reynolds grade A drawn tubes in some of these rather than cheap seam welded heavy tubes.

Keith

That's a really great find with just the rear derailleur missing..👍
The other components and Campagnolo shifter look original so I would say that the rear derailleur would have been a Campagnolo Gran Sport or possibly the similar looking Campagnolo Turismo which can handle a 28 tooth rear freewheel.

That's a really great find with just the rear derailleur missing..👍
The other components and Campagnolo shifter look original so I would say that the rear derailleur would have been a Campagnolo Gran Sport or possibly the similar looking Campagnolo Turismo which can handle a 28 tooth rear freewheel.
Thanks for the advertising flyer! That lists pretty much everything I needed to know!!!

Nice find, the Classique was a good mid range model but was never advertised as a frame only. And as @Chopper the ex Copper says, the Huret is the Cuckoo in the GranSport nest. Later lower models such as the Electron however did run that combo in the very late 60’s & early 70’s.
Bin it (the Huret) & find yourself something Campy & shiny

Back