CLAUD BUTLER ‘COMPETITOR’ BY HOLDSWORTH – 1981.

Ha! Yes I think CB was always going to play second fiddle once Holdsworth got hold of them. Although to be fair there was always a CB alternative to most/all Holdsworth models. Its does seem the Pro and Mistral got these TT eyes first so you can read across to the equivalent CB.

A steal at that price. I'm surprised your hands haven't been bitten off. If I didn't have a small queue I'd try to convince you I was within 50 miles (nearly)! GLWS

No, I still have two hands and the CB; I'm still waiting for the enthusiast who say's 'I must have it for my CB collection'.

Hi there can any one help a Claud Butler Competitor by Holdworth 531 frame in silver red writing and serial number 123973 does any one know what year this was made please ????

Hi there can any one help a Claud Butler Competitor by Holdworth 531 frame in silver red writing and serial number 123973 does any one know what year this was made please ????
Hello, that number doesn’t fit any of the sequences so you might be looking at a casting number (for the BB shell)
There has been four versions;
Mid 70’s
& early 80’s
If you post a photo of the bike and also one of the number we can answer your question.

Hello, that number doesn’t fit any of the sequences so you might be looking at a casting number (for the BB shell)
There has been four versions;
Mid 70’s
& early 80’s
If you post a photo of the bike and also one of the number we can answer your question.

Thanks for the reply
Hi there the only number we can find on the bike is that one (123973) which is under the bottom bracket on the frame....Please can you tell me where the frame number would be please ? Also found on the cranks ...SURGINO-OFMEGA if that helps at all All so reading above there are 3 welded on lugs on the top tube holding the cable on. .......Thanks

Bike.jpg

Well with those cable eyes on the top tube I would go with the 80's option above. If that's correct it should have a 6 digit number starting with Zero. Its not unusual for the zero to be badly stamped and the paint getting into it which can make it look like a 1, I have seen that before. Can you supply photo of number on BB to confirm, but my suggestion is this is from 1980 and the number is actually 023973.

Well with those cable eyes on the top tube I would go with the 80's option above. If that's correct it should have a 6 digit number starting with Zero. Its not unusual for the zero to be badly stamped and the paint getting into it which can make it look like a 1, I have seen that before. Can you supply photo of number on BB to confirm, but my suggestion is this is from 1980 and the number is actually 023973.
I agree. Likely 023973 as DW says which points towards 1980. (as do the top tube guides)

i agree its from around1976, 77 i had a holdsworth championship,and the cb competitor was also for sale i went for the championship as it had hp tyres and the cb tubs wanted a training bike

Back